Shift points for XJ auto? Too low rpm

• 4 weeks later...

Followed and did all of Cruiser's suggested Renix tips for my shifting problems. Each one improved things a bit better, the 90 TCU made a huge difference in shifting!!  Further, with his suggestion of Volvo injectors, later ECU, hard wired transmission switch to Power, etc. and Grand Cherokee steering box...my Comanche driving experience is night and day difference!  It still shifts lower than I'd like (around 3k rpm I think), but that is WAY better than shifting well below 2k RPM!

For those with manual transmissions that are getting on it, what is your preferred shift points?  How close to redline do you run up to?

Thanks everyone (and especially Cruiser and Roger) for all the help diagnosing and improving the running of my Comanche.

6 hours ago, rynoshark said:

For those with manual transmissions that are getting on it, what is your preferred shift points?  How close to redline do you run up to?

Redline? None of my MJs has ever been even close to redline, at least not under my ownership. I usually shift from 1st to 2nd at around 1800 RPM (that's the only speed I can make the shift without crashing the syncros, and that's true of the BA 10/5, the AX-15, and the NVG 3550). 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th is typically 2200 to 2400 RPM. 5th isn't based on RPM -- I get up to 55 on the highway and go to 5th. Don't use 5th below 55 or on anything other than limited access freeways.

Edited by Eagle
Typo

I try to keep the ZJ between 1500-2000 rpm around town. I might see 4500rpm or so if I'm really giving it the boot merging from a stop sign, but that's it. 

3000rpm was about what my MJ shifted itself at unless I was more than half-way into the pedal, but I don't think it would ever hit 4000. Generally it was only 2500rpm IIRC.