Noise after replacing starter

So the starter on me 89 4.0 crapped out and I had a good shade tree mechanic install a new one but it began to clatter after starting like the flex plate is broken. However i had a new flexplate installed a year ago. I found a thread where folks talked about shimming the starter and the experience and advice was all over the place. Some said the old starter was shimmed but the replacement didn't need any while others said the replacement came with shims and instructions to use them if necessary. Others suggested that the replacement starter could have a different nose length. Just trying to provide some input to my mechanic if you have any experience with this. Thanks.

Starters on 4.0 engines don't need shimming.   When you had the new flex plate installed, I hope the installer inspected the attaching bolts for damage from the previous cracked flex plate, and he also used Loctite and a torque wrench when he installed the.

You might take the dust cover off of the bell housing and do some visual inspection with a flashlight and a small mirror.

No shims needed. It's normal for a new starter to sound a little different but there shouldn't be anything even close to a clatter. I agree with AZJeff - take the flexplate cover off (or have your mechanic do it) and see if you can get a better look at the flexplate.

If you can record the noise it might help us figure out what's going on.