So, say you just seal up the stupid holes in the valve cover... What will explode?

It won't explode per-se, but the pressure will find a way out and it's preferred to know precisely where that point is. :D

On the same page, is there any reason why you can't block one of them, but vent the other?

On my 4.0, the blowby pressure easily overpowers the vacuum created by the engine. I tried sealing up the front once and it popped the silicone seal and leaked oil out. Then I tried putting a small valve cover filter on the front and it still leaked oil all over. That's why I now have the front tube running to a gallon jug to catch the oil. But that's my truck. :( Yours may react differently.

I think I'm going to seal the front one, but use the boot from it on the rear, and then just run a filter off it. If it gets gross, I'll do somehting else.

And I know it would explode if I sealed it. But the guy at the auto parts store said I could seal both of them, and I was kinda thinking "umm". Then I told him I though the valve cover would lift off and spary oil everywhere and he agreed that might be a possibility.

You will blowout a rear main seal or a timing cover seal.

That's what happened to the 4.0 in my old 90 cherokee. I used a little tape to hold the hose into the PCV and the tape melted and pluged it up. Before I knew it there was a huge cloud of smoke behind me and the oil psi droped to 0 and she locked up on me. Blew out the reear main

I just ran a hose out of mine and vent it down by the oil pan: That, and the extra exhaust "breather" Hole I Drilled, help pass the emission crap, at least up till 280K. Finally had to have the engine rebuilt just pass the stupid emissions! But don't wait that long, it's bored sixty thousands over on the pistons and they could just barely do it as the cylinders were so ovaled.

What can I say; That, I'm an irresponible idiot?

:dunce:

Well, I took out the rear grommet, blocked it and installed it in the front location, then put the front one in the rear with a K&N filter on it. Sadly my breather has a better filter than my engine...

Anyways, fired it up and ran it a bit. The whole freaking motor was smoking, apparently because I disturbed the grease. But mostly it was smoking out of the vent. A massive blue cloud. Filled up my whole shop.

But after it got hot most of the smoking in various locations stopped. I say most. It's running way rich too, I think. I'm not quite sure. So there's other issues.

I tried the little filter deal on the front and it just filled up with oil after a few miles. So, I put a PCV valve on both ends. I have one on the front inverted so it only allows air to go in and one in the back that only allows it to vent out. I also put a larger hose on the rear vent to the manifold. Seems to be working for now.

Update*

I was driving home tonight after work and could smell oil burning. :headpop:

The oil started leaking from around the oil cap, not alot but enough to matter.