Electricery Question, ignition switch, EDIT TITLE.

20180423_211123.jpg.ef2328b9670c5618ae630c7493b7b2c1.jpg

I'm eliminating the ignition switch. 

If I probe the violet wire that goes to the temp gauge (appears to be the only one effected) I get 9 volts. 

As seen in the images below, any other circuit reads about 14 volts.

If I jump the violet wire from another circuit, to give it 14 volts, the temp gauge goes down from normal (200 degrees) to about 125 degrees. 

If I ohm the violet wire to ground, the gauge sweeps fully to the right. 

9 volts seems to be what it requires. 

I took the extra ignition switch apart to see if there was some type of resistor, there is not. 

You guys have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks. 

20180423_211134.jpg

20180423_211150.jpg

Violet wire is connected to G1 on the ignition switch. When ignition switch is in the START position, G1 is grounded. This will either light the TEMP bulb or peg the gauge. Circuit is known as "Bulb Check". Reading is voltage between the bulb/gauge and the switch/sensor.

21 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Violet wire is connected to G1 on the ignition switch. When ignition switch is in the START position, G1 is grounded. This will either light the TEMP bulb or peg the gauge. Circuit is known as "Bulb Check". Reading is voltage between the bulb/gauge and the switch/sensor.

OK, is it getting 14v from the switch?............or is it NOT getting voltage from the switch??? only ground at start?

Am I reading volts from the gauge back? not from the switch out?

Your reading voltage on a wire between the coolant gauge and the coolant sender. I said sensor above, but meant sender. This circuit is a input, not a voltage output. Circuit has nothing to do with switching ignition voltage (14vdc).

12 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Your reading voltage on a wire between the coolant gauge and the coolant sender. I said sensor above, but meant sender. This circuit is a input, not a voltage output. Circuit has nothing to do with switching ignition voltage (14vdc).

What would you do? run these two wires through a relay and ground during the start circuit or would you just cap them off and forget them?

13 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

What you are seeing is normal. Don't do anything. Next time you start any vehicle watch the gauges or bulbs, some will light or peg a gauge during CRANK, this is normal. Maybe not on a full electronic cluster, they do it a different way.

Click on this Link and go to page 29.

Yes, I have the manual, now I understand. 

I will no longer have an ignition switch.........gone. 

I'm running all wiring through a new digital switch, this is why I'm asking..........this was the one thing I didn't understand. 

Thank you.