Need Quick Trans Feedback

Hi, everyone.  I am new to the forum and new to the undertaking I am about to embark upon.  I am, however, not new to auto mechanics or alterations/ conversions (just in the realm of Jeep).  I have an 89 Pioneer that I plan to put back into service.  It is 2wd and has the small 4 cyl and manual trans.  I plan to put a Ford 302 under the hood and convert to 4wd.  A friend is donating the 302, and I have been looking for a suitable trans.  I ran across a used AX15 w/ transfer case and front and rear driveshafts out of a 91 Cherokee.  The guy wants $325 for the whole mess.  So, I have two questions.  First, is this a good trans for this project?  I have been reading up on this topic, and this seems to be a good choice, but I wanted to get some seasoned opinions.  Second, is this a good price for a used Jeep AX15 w/ the fixins?  I appreciate your feedback!

Hi, everyone.  I am new to the forum and new to the undertaking I am about to embark upon.  I am, however, not new to auto mechanics or alterations/ conversions (just in the realm of Jeep).  I have an 89 Pioneer that I plan to put back into service.  It is 2wd and has the small 4 cyl and manual trans.  I plan to put a Ford 302 under the hood and convert to 4wd.  A friend is donating the 302, and I have been looking for a suitable trans.  I ran across a used AX15 w/ transfer case and front and rear driveshafts out of a 91 Cherokee.  The guy wants $325 for the whole mess.  So, I have two questions.  First, is this a good trans for this project?  I have been reading up on this topic, and this seems to be a good choice, but I wanted to get some seasoned opinions.  Second, is this a good price for a used Jeep AX15 w/ the fixins?  I appreciate your feedback!

The integral slave gives me pause and AX-15 second gear won’t like the 302 if you’re rough on it, but T-5WC doesn’t have a 4x4 version and the lighter duty non-WC ones were wrecked easily with a 2.8 V6. Don’t know about a NV3550 adapter for low cost but the Mazda 5 speed with 31 spline NP208F would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say you'd be better off finding a trans that Ford stuck behind a 302. You're basically looking at a custom rear driveshaft anyhow. The 231 or 242 tcase from the XJ would hold up, probably the ax15 would do reasonably well as well, but it's less work if you pick an engine/trans/tcase combo that already bolts together, plus you'll know it'll hold up. 

If it's a stock 302 the AX-15 will be fine.  just don't slam the gears. :D   advance adapters or novak should have an adapter bellhousing.  oh, and 300 bucks is an ok price for a trans and t-case. :L: