97+ XJ Manual Shift Boot Plate

Skorpyo

I swapped in a 97+ XJ center console, which I was very happy with until a few days ago when my modified shift boot retainer plate broke into about 4 pieces. I was using the original plate, that had the PRND shifter for an automatic and had trimmed it to accept the shift boot retainer. Unfortunately doing so left very little in the way of structural integrity. I've not been able to locate any part numbers or even examples of how the 97+ XJs with manual transmissions had the boot and plate mounted. Finding a 97+ manual XJ (for parts or in a JY) seems to actually be harder than finding an MJ...

Googling I found the attached image, which shows a 2001 manual XJ. The piece I'm looking for is the black plate under the boot that curves on the left (driver) side to match the console. IF by any chance you have, or know where one is, please let me know. Thanks!

2001-jeep-cherokee-sport-5-speed-manual-13.JPG

Just checked the parts manuals (97-01 XJs), and all they show is the shift bezels for the LHD and RHD autos as below. Nothing for the standard transmissions. But you probably knew that. If it's not in the parts manuals, it might not exist. Can't you get another one and beef it up with fiberglass?

s-l1600.jpg

I did check the mopar parts lists, diagrams and aftermarket vendors but it is a fantasy part that apparently was made but never listed. I know they had standard XJs from 97-01 so they must have made a plate to adapt to the console.

That being said I’ll likely end up getting another automatic shifter plate at the JY and give it another go or try and fab one from metal.

I’d love to find an official one but they certainly seem to be a pink unicorn...

Thanks all!

I knew someone would need one of these things!  Last fall I picked up a 4WD AX-15 from a '97 or '98 XJ that I rebuilt and put in my MJ over Xmas.  When I found the XJ I opted to grab the shift boot & retaining bezel with the trans because, well, when was the last time you saw one?   It doesn't have that curved piece on the side but I have a P/N on the bezel:

52079309ab rev b 1-5-98

I can send a few pics if you'd like.   I also discovered the 97+ AX-15 shift lever is different and had to reuse my old one, albeit with a new plastic bushing. Maybe the shift lever differences caused your bezel to break?  I think I have the lever in the basement too.

I knew someone would need one of these things!  Last fall I picked up a 4WD AX-15 from a '97 or '98 XJ that I rebuilt and put in my MJ over Xmas.  When I found the XJ I opted to grab the shift boot & retaining bezel with the trans because, well, when was the last time you saw one?   It doesn't have that curved piece on the side but I have a P/N on the bezel:
52079309ab rev b 1-5-98

I can send a few pics if you'd like.   I also discovered the 97+ AX-15 shift lever is different and had to reuse my old one, albeit with a new plastic bushing. Maybe the shift lever differences caused your bezel to break?  I think I have the lever in the basement too.

Man, that’s cool! I googled the PN and it came back with auto shift bezels... but I do believe that you’re right that the shifter throw is what broke the old bezel. Reverse is what did it.

If you’re willing to part with your pink unicorn shoot me a PM and we can hash it out.

Thanks for the G2 regardless!

• 2 weeks later...