How to pick non mj specific seats

How does everyone that's put different seats in go about figuring out what to get them out of?

Does everyone just pick a seat they like that's cheap or free and just slap it in or do you look at specific sizes?

If so, how do you measure them?

I basically want to know how you know they'll work in your MJ, or if you even do know before you buy them...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I first changed the factory bench seat in my 91 Comanche to XJ/MJ buckets.  I went thru several sets before finally finding a decent pair of quality seats.  Part of the process involved mixing and matching something like 8 different buckets and parts.

After a couple of years, I found the XJ/MJ buckets were causing me a pain in my back.  So I started on line research to see what others with both XJs and MJs had done.  Finally settled on Grand Cherokee buckets then converted them to fold forward seats.  Followed instructions on a DIY article on the Comanche Club.  Lots of test fitting and adjustments before the final positioning.

At this point, if I wanted to change seats - I would be looking at a wider range of different seats.  Such as Audi, Lexus, BMW, Volvo, etc.   I would measure the XJ/MJ buckets and the Grand Cherokee buckets to come up with a range of seat widths to measure for a future swap.    The Grand Cherokee seats are just about as wide as I can fit in the MJ.

Lastly, I like the idea of the Dakota 3 part bench seat - except how it fits over the transmission tunnel.

I went through this about 4 years ago with my TJ.  The driver's seat was ripped.   Reupholstering them would have been expensive and seat covers seemed to be a bit hit and miss.   I went to a pic-n-pull junk yard with basic measurements in hand and walked around until I found what I thought would work.   I looked mostly at small 2 seaters and pickup trucks that had seats that folded forward.   I simply measured the width of my Jeep seats (both the seat part and the back rest) and the height of the seat surface from the floor.   I found several that were "close enough".   I avoided power seats as I didn't want the hassle.   Heated seats would have been nice, but no luck. 

I bought seats out of Hyundai Tiburon and they worked out great.   They look good and they are very comfortable.   I've gone on several day long drives with no problems at all.   That JY charged $100 for the pair.   I bought two sets since then for $70 a pair and have put them in my LJ and XJ.   I plan to put a set in my MJ too.   For the TJ & LJ I used the original floor brackets and Hyundai sliders.   For the XJ I used the original floor brackets and Jeep sliders (just worked out better).   In each case I kept the Jeep seat belts.   XJ & MJ brackets and sliders are a bit different but it should work out.   

Here they are in my XJ ...

picture.php?albumid=4517&pictureid=54290

I don't have a pic of the XJ brackets that I made but here is what is in my LJ.   They are very similar.   I made them so that I could easily adjust the height by adding spacers between the flat bar pieces.   That is why I didn't bother to weld them.   I used grade 8 hardware which should be fine.   

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=46458

• 11 months later...

I just Picked up some Acura CL Type S seat that ill post in my thread later.  they are power/heated. I measured width of track, width of cushion. (Acura seat is 2-3" narrower) i also measured the back rest width and height from cushion to top of head rest. My Comanche bucket seat is 29 inches and i think the Acura seats are 31.5 which is high if i retained the stock  comanche mounts. I won't ill build some.

I've swapped seats a couple times in my CJ, and an important factor is the thickness of the seat cushion from top to bottom. I retained a factory mount (therefore factory height) so the variation in seat bottom height was the only difference.  It was surprising what a large impact a small difference made.  Even 1" could make or break a good fit.  If using custom seat mounts this could be accounted for.