ISO leftover AX15 bellhousing

A-man930

Interested if anyone has a spare or leftover internal slave AX-15 bellhousing lying around they'd like to part ways with, loan out, or donate.  

Looking into making my own engine adapter and want to avoid removing my trans just for dimensions... worth a shot!  

Interested if anyone has a spare or leftover internal slave AX-15 bellhousing lying around they'd like to part ways with, loan out, or donate.  
Looking into making my own engine adapter and want to avoid removing my trans just for dimensions... worth a shot!  

Is It AX15 specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, carnuck said:

Is It AX15 specific?

The adapter I'm wanting to make?  No not really I suppose, It'll be making the rear of the TDi mimic the rear of a 4.0.  I just had a 16" diameter piece of 6061 land in my lap yesterday and I want to know if it's big enough for the actual outside dimensions of the bell.  

Multiple sources have stated that the 4.0 bellhousing bolt pattern is identical to all AMC V8s; if that is indeed true I used these images to do a quick n dirty check:

20160921_190829-1.jpg.e3634a26b8da339595cb3abfbafe2c9d.jpg

AMC_bellhousing_bolt_pattern.thumb.png.5e3ce56f49ce9caa92ef9b323ba44230.png

This is the piece I scored and the quick tape measure markings I made from the two above drawings: (I did not make the existing holes)  

20180320_222236%5B1%5D.jpg.2bb0222eb6f67794e93711581be85f4d.jpg

If you can't tell from the picture, the bolts themselves will be very near the edge of this plate... my gut says its just barely too small, but I just HAVE to know for sure!  

20180320_222236[1].jpg

The tdi might use the same pattern as the VW/Audi 2.0L with 904 Auto trans in Postal Jeep DJ5-Gs in 78/79.
Only the Gen 1 AMC V8s (250, 287, 327) had a different bell pattern than 4.0 and ‘72+ 232/258 in-line sixes.

5 hours ago, carnuck said:

The tdi might use the same pattern as the VW/Audi 2.0L with 904 Auto trans in Postal Jeep DJ5-Gs in 78/79.
Only the Gen 1 AMC V8s (250, 287, 327) had a different bell pattern than 4.0 and ‘72+ 232/258 in-line sixes.

Boy that sounds like an impossibly hard to find combination of parts even if it does happen to share a pattern... plus I would need there to be manual trans. parts.  

I have heard the same with the 72+ AMC engines several times now.  

Boy that sounds like an impossibly hard to find combination of parts even if it does happen to share a pattern... plus I would need there to be manual trans. parts.  

I have heard the same with the 72+ AMC engines several times now.  

It’s also the same as the 2.0 in 77-79 gremlin/Spirit which came with SR/4? SR/5? And turbo 924 Porsche 79/81.

2 hours ago, carnuck said:

It’s also the same as the 2.0 in 77-79 gremlin/Spirit which came with SR/4? SR/5? And turbo 924 Porsche 79/81.

Some quick research on that Audi 2.0 (known as the EA831) indicates that it does not share the bolt pattern of the EA827 (which I think is what even the current TDi engines are based upon).  

5 years ago all the vehicles mentioned were easy to find around here. Now good luck. Scrap is hovering around 185 a ton on average from what I have seen in Indianapolis to Northern Indiana. Everything is getting crunched as quick as possible. With what has been mentioned about steel tariffs/trade, steel prices are expected to change drastically. Everyone should keep this in mind, plays a major role in junk yard stock turnover.

The piece I had was just big enough to fit the bolt pattern (16" dia) but not enough to give the bell much of anything to actually be drawn up against.  Your pictures showed the outside of the bellhousing is 17.5" to 18" in diameter.  So close! 

The piece I had was just big enough to fit the bolt pattern (16" dia) but not enough to give the bell much of anything to actually be drawn up against.  Your pictures showed the outside of the bellhousing is 17.5" to 18" in diameter.  So close! 

I’d be tempted to split the plate and swing it open like an accordion style fan.