Window Sweep and Regulator

I've been on line looking for window sweeps for my MJ and have consistently come up short for that in addition to two (yep) new window regulators, manual.  Does Dorman or anyone refab these things?  I don't want to put a used one on to only have it break a year into my refurb.

I’m in the same boat - was hoping someone would tell me that a different year Cherokee part that would work.  

Both regulators stripped - my intention was to install a power window kit (which I can’t return now) but need the regulator issue addressed first.  I have found a couple power regulators (either driver or passenger - not both). 

like you, I don’t want to spend money and time installing a used part that may work for a while then crap out on me.

New manual 84-96 XJ/MJ regulators are NLA unless you get lucky. Power regulators are available both as NOS and aftermarket. I installed the Electric Life JE01-K regulators (much faster the the OEMs) and wired in the stock XJ/MJ door switches years ago and they are still working fine.

https://www.electric-life.com/product/je01-k-front-2-door-power-window-kit/

JE01-THN1.jpg

2 hours ago, KellyQ said:

Thanks - I was wondering if that was an option.  Still leaves me with a $100 power window kit I can’t return but at least my windows will work! 😂

I made up a wiring diagram I can send you if you decide to wire in the stock switches.

I got some window sweeps from www.teamcherokee.com a few years ago. Not cheap, but they were a perfect fit. They have a decent selection of various odds and ends, mostly for Cherokees but a fair amount of crossover items to MJ's. Some items seem to be a really good deal, and others are really expensive despite being available from other vendors. Regardless, a good resource worth checking if something is hard to find. 

Also, Rock Auto has electric window regulators in stock for both sides right now. I just got my driver side unit after being on back order for several months. They're @$100 for each side. 

Don, I'm curious since I'll be replacing both of my regulators when things finally warm up, we have a forecast of 5 inches of snow starting tonight!, the units you got and presumably the ones I got are not plug and play? 

25 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Don, I'm curious since I'll be replacing both of my regulators when things finally warm up, we have a forecast of 5 inches of snow starting tonight!, the units you got and presumably the ones I got are not plug and play? 

I'm not sure if the Electric Life regulators are a direct replacement  for existing factory Mopar or AMC power regulators Wahoo. They bolted right in on the existing mounting points on my MJ, so I assume they will.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

I'm not sure if the Electric Life regulators are a direct replacement  for existing factory Mopar or AMC power regulators. They bolted right in on the existing mounting points on my MJ, so I assume they will.  :dunno:

Ahhh, I forgot, if I am correct you upgraded your electric windows from manual hence the wiring. The ones from Rock Auto are made/distributed(?) by ACI.

In my limited experience, a common problem for manual window regulators is the internal spring-looking-rod-thing the window actually attaches to, gets worn down in one area. The effect you hear/feel is a clicking/ratcheting noise in that spot and the window will no longer go up/down unless you pull/push the glass (pull up usually).

Solution one: swap the internal spring-rod-thing from the left side to the right side (and vice versa). It's pretty easy.

This may work to repair the passenger window regulator (moving the driver's regulator spring-rod-thing over), but I've noticed (in my limited experience) that the passenger spring-rod-thing tends to exhibit a lot of corrosion on the end of it which makes it unusable. You'll know when you pull them out.

Solution two: find manual window regulators at the junkyard from a Cherokee. They do exist....then follow solution one.

The internal spring-rod-thing is the same in the front and rear doors of a Cherokee. The shape of the regulators obviously is different, but the internal piece you likely need is exactly the same (I've used them to repair mine and they looked like they were hardly used).

Sorry that I don't know the "technical" name...

I thought you could pull that strip out and reverse it. It may only last awhile, since like you stated 1 side will be worn or damaged. Autozone sells those dorman universal strips for like 6 bucks. I have not torn one apart to try since I have working ones lying around. They are not that hard to find but more time consuming to get to. I never want to spend my junkyard time gutting a door. In my experience at the yards, its better to buy the whole door complete. Much cheaper. They will charge half the cost of a complete door with mirror and glass as just the motor so why bother to save the 35 bucks when you get the whole thing. Typically a complete door is 70-80 around here. Sometimes as low as 65 but then there is still tax and core. That is at the chain yards though where manuals are hard to find. The maw and paw yards will have better luck but prices will vary greatly from 50 to 250.