Rear window replacement

Howdy all. Little history, I'm a NAXJA guy and bought the MJ from YELLA (who I'm pretty sure is on here), it was the race truck. I simply couldn't stomach the thought of a lowered MJ so I saved it.... :D. While I love being on NAXJA, figured I'd drop by over here for my MJ questions as that sub forum isn't the most active. Anyways....

I need to replace the rear slider window on my MJ as some dumb @$$ kids shot it out with a BB gun. Luckily, Troy was kind enough to hook me up with a OEM solid glass piece. My question is how difficult is it to swap out and what do I need? I also have some little cracks at the top of the window frame that I will probably weld up.  Any input is appreciated! 

You need a good knife with the right shaped blade to cut the urethane adhesive out with.  Piano wire might work too, but I never had much luck doing it that way.  Then you'll need to get all the old adhesive off and clean up any rust or other damage.  Then lots of tape to hold it while you glue the new one in.  Making some spacers to get the position right would also be a good idea.

The rubber 'seal' is just trim, FYI.  You can glue it back in if it comes out in good enough shape.

I put in a junkyard 3-pane easily myself.  It wasn't bad.  Remove your rubber trim molding, clean and sit it aside.  Clean the heck out of that metal window channel.  Both mating surfaces need to be quite clean -- I used lacquer thinner.  I'd go for any heavy non-film-leaving solvent if possible. 

You may need a heat gun to help you along.  It was a God-send for me, as my job would had taken a lot longer without one.  Do any rust repairs.  I had quite a clean truck, but still found a couple of rust spots in that channel area.  I psanded them down and shot some primer/paint over them. 

Go to Advance Auto and pay $25.99 for this:

windshield.jpg.1a2a7421be1cc2b301f91617a9d79d95.jpg

Have yourself a warm garage.  Dry fit to ensure you're not getting ready to do something dumb.  I then placed the ribbon sealer in the window channel surface, then brought my glass to it.  Mate the two surfaces.  All at the same time, use good duct tape (Monster tape is awesome for this) to attach to glass and wrap along the roof of your truck.  I used three equally spaced pieces of tape.  That'll help you keep it good as you install glass and as you apply pressure to sealer areas. 

You'll be leaving an open channel around the perimeter so that you rubber trim goes back in.  That trim is essentially cosmetic, you know...doesn't really do anything as far as mechanically holding the glass in.  Shove it into place.  I shot a little black silicone in the upper corners and secured with tape till dry just to kind of seal it down a bit.  My had very minor curling with age.    

I've got several Months on my truck using this product/method and I'm good.  No leaks. Looks good.  Quite inexpensive. 

• 3 months later...

Soooo, no dice on this working. Pretty sure I'm missing something. 

First go around I put the ribbon on the channel and pressed the glass on WITH the gasket as I have no idea how it would work otherwise. Since the glass sits inside the gasket I just don't see how you could put it on after. It held for a while but I guess it did not seat correctly as the gasket is what the ribbon stuck to and not the window. 

So then I removed everything cleaned it up and this time put the ribbon on the window still WITH gasket attached. I sealed on one side but not the other and came off. 

Now i'm cruising around without the back and honestly I like it with the exception of rain in the future.

So what am I missing? Do I need thicker ribbon? I think I used 1/4. I'm worried about getting a tube of adhesive and making a mess and causing more headache.  

3 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Soooo, no dice on this working. Pretty sure I'm missing something. 

First go around I put the ribbon on the channel and pressed the glass on WITH the gasket as I have no idea how it would work otherwise. Since the glass sits inside the gasket I just don't see how you could put it on after. It held for a while but I guess it did not seat correctly as the gasket is what the ribbon stuck to and not the window. 

So then I removed everything cleaned it up and this time put the ribbon on the window still WITH gasket attached. I sealed on one side but not the other and came off. 

Now i'm cruising around without the back and honestly I like it with the exception of rain in the future.

So what am I missing? Do I need thicker ribbon? I think I used 1/4. I'm worried about getting a tube of adhesive and making a mess and causing more headache.  

I'm not sure why you can't see putting on the rubber trim afterwards. 

Starting from scratch:  Install the sticky ribbon along the INSIDE open EDGE of your truck's window opening.    After visually sizing how your glass will fit in there centered and evenly all around the opening, carefully push the glass onto the sticky ribbon (use some Monster tape to help hold into place.  Because of the size of your glass and the size of your recessed opening is different, you'll be leaving an open channel going all the way around the perimeter between the edge of your glass and the metal recess area of your truck.  That channel is were you'll push your decorative rubber trim back later.

Screw that rubber trim during your install!  It's not part of the install process.  Some people don't even re-use it and shoot black silicone in there or use other forms of trim.  It's mostly decorative, really.  My trim was still in pretty good shape, so I set it outside in the sunlight to soften while I installed my glass.  Install it later when you're done setting your glass in place.  

If this still is not making sense, then perhaps you have something different going on there.  Take a pic or two in that case and we can probably help you figure a different option that'll work for you.  

I see it as the trim goes around the window. The window actually sits inside of it. So I don't know how I would get a good seal between the 2 when there just isn't a lot of room to work with. I can take a pic tomorrow. Guessing it is more than likely user error....

14 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

I see it as the trim goes around the window.

Me too...but after the window is installed.  

Again, you may have something different going on there than I do.  Let's take a look at what you got.

Alright, so here is what I'm working with. The seal has to go around the window. I even tried putting the window in and getting the seal in. I trully have no idea how it would work. I can't get enough leverage between the window and the seal to set it correctly. 

20180701_115444_HDR.jpg

20180701_115524_HDR.jpg

On 7/1/2018 at 6:34 PM, Smokeyyank said:

The seal has to go around the window.

It didn't have to on mine. 

Like i said, I pushed that rubber trim in the space between the glass and the truck AFTER i placed the glass.  It does not have to completely wrap around the glass like a seal.  The nose of the seal that gets pushed within is shaped a little like an arrowhead.  I just pushed it by hand after the window had been set.  

I'm sorry you're having issues with yours.  You must have something different going on there that I can't see in your pics.  Any how, I wish you good luck on nailing a solution..

Yeah mine it has to go around. That channel in the seal is about 1/2" of window going in it. I get what you're saying about not having to but there just is no way I can unless I cut the seal to allow it to "slide" in vs wrapping around. Since it will be needing a new windshield I'll probably just see if I can get the glass guy to hammer it out. Thanks for the info though.