Side mirror differences

Bounty Hunter

My '88 MJ's side mirrors are like the XJ, but my '91 has different side mirrors bolted to the door skin. Anybody know the year break? What's your preference?

And both my '88 and '91 have 2 rivets and 2 screws in the same spot on the driver's door, just below the window and about 6" behind the side mirror. Looks like something was there at one time, and on both jeeps. What gives?

An MJ could have come from the factory with any of three styles of mirror. The most common is the one that fills the little triangle at the front corner of the vent window, just like on Cherokees. Except on most MJs this mirror wasn't set up with the little joystick for "manual remore" adjustment -- to adjust you open the window, reach out, and adjust.

The real base models came with a single "flag" style mirror on only the driver's door. This mounted just beneath the window with two screws to the sheet metal.

There was also an option for "west coast truck" style mirrors -- the big chrome ones with the shiny stainless steel brackets that stand out about 6" beyond the side of the vehicle. These have an upper and lower mount, two holes for each. Sounds like that's what was on your truck at some time in the past.

What models are your MJs? And are these rivets and screw holes on the driver's door only, or on both sides? Sounds like driver's door only. If they are just below the window, that sounds like the location where the base for the "flag" style mirror would be. I have an '88 with that style mirror, but I have never removed it to see what's under the base.

I know this is not a factory option, but it would be interesting to see what a pair of Wrangler mirrors look like on a MJ. Or anything else that would allow better view for that matter. I have the first set that Eagle is describing, not much viewable image IMO :P .

Driver's door only, several inches back from the wing window just below the sill. 2 screws and 2 rivits, and you can tell in the paint that something used to be there.

Both MJ's are a base model that I can tell, no other package identifiers. The '88 is a 4.0L auto SWB 4wd and the '91 is a 2.5L 5spd LWB 2wd.

my 88 had the style in the little triangle and my 86 has the towing style. and ill tell you right out that the towin style is way better over the little front triangle ones. i could hardly see on the 88 and the 86 is heaven with the towing mirrors.

I know this is not a factory option, but it would be interesting to see what a pair of Wrangler mirrors look like on a MJ. Or anything else that would allow better view for that matter. I have the first set that Eagle is describing, not much viewable image IMO :P .

I tried a pair of CJ mirrors once, but thought they looked too big. Like elephant ears. I eventually went with a smaller generic curved mirror.

Jeep on!

--Pete

This is the CJ mirror:

And this is the mirror I went with, but I used a CJ mirror arm. Sorry, I don't have pics of the finished product yet.

You can bolt 97 and XJ mirrors to the Comanche I have them on mine and they work really nice. They can fold in or out. I fold them in when I am wheeling. Then when I hit the road I fold them back out and they are mostly clean.

Chris,