Project Camy

Hey guys.

Let this be the thread for the Jeep Comanche build that I am doing. To start off, she is a 1987 Jeep Comanche (base i think). Originally a 2wd, 4.0L I6, BA10/5, NP231, D44 rear with metric ton package, 6ft bed. Previous owner (at some point) converted the tranny and tcase to 4wd. When I got her, the steering was shot, wheels were off of a ZJ, rear was lincoln locked, tires were bald. Attached image is what she looked like when i got her. Steering was upgraded to ZJ's (heavy duty), front axle is out of a 95 or a 93 jeep cherokee (HP D30, 3.55, abs compatable, 1330 joints I believe). Rear was also fixed with 3.55 gears now. XJ shortened driveshaft (1.75" I think).

The front headlight bessel was swapped for a Cherokee one, got new wheels and tires. This is my girlfriends and I's project. Have a new stereo system sitting in the closet waiting to be put in. 

So now for the rest of the build. I need you all's opinion

1) Keep the drivetrain stock, replace the transmission with an ax15 and leave it for collection purpose

2) Find a 1995-1996 Jeep Cherokee 2 door with 4.0 and ax15 and gut it and put it all into mache. Interior out of a 97+ cherokee

3) Find a 97-2001 Jeep cherokee with a manual and do a 97+ build

4) take a ls1+T56. Interior out of a 97+ cherokee. 

I am not concerned too much with a budget or difficulty. I'm mainly looking for an opinion of the "cool" factor. She will get a good deep blue paint job and this will be like a weekend drive/go to car shows/daily driver. The rear will get airbags too to smooth out the ride. I know that the ls swap is more difficult, but besides that, is it even cool? I heard that this swap kinda butchers the Manches. So I am kind of bouncing between 2 and 4 listed above. Let me know what you guys think

20170512_065120.jpg

Ill sell it for $100. Have a few other bits a pieces too if you want that I am trying to get rid of. As for the interior, wagoneer was a "luxury" model of the cherokee. So if you want to stick with the luxury theme, then you need to find 84-87 XJ wagoneer. If not, then anything up to and including 96 cherokee would work. Personally though, I like the 97+ cherokee interior, but thats more modern

Ill sell it for $100. Have a few other bits a pieces too if you want that I am trying to get rid of. As for the interior, wagoneer was a "luxury" model of the cherokee. So if you want to stick with the luxury theme, then you need to find 84-87 XJ wagoneer. If not, then anything up to and including 96 cherokee would work. Personally though, I like the 97+ cherokee interior, but thats more modern

Are you saying the 97+ interior would work as well? And what other bits and pieces might ya be talking about?

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

Ill have to look what all I got. Its been awhile since I took them off. And thats what I want to use as well, but there may be (most likely) some fab work to be done to make the newer trim work with older Jeeps. The general dimentions are the same I'm sure since those did not change over the years

First, I read this as project "CamRy" and could not understand the name. Finally figured out is is project "camy".  So take my comments with in mind.

Most ls1 engine conversions end poorly.  Just my observation over the last 10-12 years.

I like the Wagoner front end conversion.

Get an ax15 trans when you can, replace it when pukgoat fails.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

97 door conversion is nice and not too hard. Do 97 door weather stripping at same time. BTW, get 97 doors with power windows and door locks. Your lady will like it.

Full 97 interior conversion is much more complex.

For me, converting to Grand Cherokee Seats was a huge comfortable improvement. Highly appreciated.

Get the truck running well as a stock truck. Sort out shocks and everything on front end.

Do all of cruiser54 Renix tips. They are gold for these old trucks.

Oh- quit using photo bucket!!!! Their pictures don't show up for many.

Okay so as far as the parts go, I have the wagoneer front bessel, some extra headlight bessels for the wagoneer. Also have ZJ wheels (4 of them) all of that i want to get rid off. Let me know if interested.

What about updating the engine? using one out of a 97+? That would help with interior too. The ZJ seat conversion that you did, was it basically drilling out the rivets and putting on the MJ seat frames? Also, can heated seats be wired into that? leather gets very cold in colorado winters. 

If not photobucket, then what can be used? Is there like a google equivalent?

Okay, I just thought of something. Can the entire drivettrain and comodities be swapped over from a 97+ jeep cherokee? I have found a really good deal on one that is in running condition and wanted to swap everything over including dash, interior etc. I know its more complicated, but by how much?

Thanks for all the support guys. Thought I'd say a quick update. Right now the Manche is a DD so I cannot do much work. Also I am looking at a donor jeep. Decided to go with a 97+ jeep cherokee with a manual which will be a little bit more hard to find. If something is found, I will be posting pics. 

As for the looks, also decided to keep the front looking the way it is. So there will be some integration involved with keeping the front looking old with new interior parts. Future updates to come.

I am also building a 99 Jeep WJ into a crawler. Having 2 projects at once does it on your wallet lol. Here is the link to the thread on that

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?27007-Project-Hippo

• 1 month later...

Here is something that came to mind that should be easy to do. Seats. I have a bench seat right now, but I want to switch to just 2 suspension bucket seats. It's hard to find a 2 door cherokee seats. What are the other options? What do you guys have? I want a suspension seats, but also so that they have access to the back area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I personally have two 4dr xj buckect seats in mine. From what I can tell they are comfortable and the slide far enough forward where its not impossible to get stuff out from behind the seats. But the added convenience of folding forward is cool too. I just wanted bucket seats and I had a cherokee at the time just sitting at my house

On 2/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, Tuzmaster said:

Okay, I just thought of something. Can the entire drivettrain and comodities be swapped over from a 97+ jeep cherokee? I have found a really good deal on one that is in running condition and wanted to swap everything over including dash, interior etc. I know its more complicated, but by how much?

there are some writeups on the 97+ swap in the link in my sig.  as well as some buildups in the project and epic forums.  

tech questions from the OP should really go in the tech forum as way more eyes will see it there.  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Well I has been awhile since I have posted here, but I found some seats for the truck. They are out of 2 door XJ. The brackets are completely different. It does look like the seats themselves unbolt from the rail, so after I pull the original bench seat, unbolt it from the brackets and see if those are usable. Knowing manufacturing the holes on the seats themselves should match between MJ and XJ seats

20180619_192935.jpg

What year was the XJ you got the seats from? If 93 or below, the XJ seats will bolt directly to your bench brackets. Also I don't any seat back levers on you're 2DR XJ seats...   :dunno:
The lever for back seat is there. Also, I do think it's a 94

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Okay so the seats are installed. Here is the bracket I made for the front. The rear is secured on the right of the driver side and left on the passenger side. Seems to be sterdy and holds me in place while driving. Been using this for a month now with no issues

6iFHAKj.jpg 

Now onto the next part of the project. I want to put air bags in the rear, but I want those airbags to be used as suspesion so that the ride is smoother. There is a company that makes them for Comanche, but its self leveling with weight in the back

What I would like to do is to have airbags act as an actual suspension. Has anyone done this for the Comanche? What leaf springs/air bags combo did you use?

Thanks guys