Wanted: Ideas for replacement/ better NP231 Shifter

I am installing an AX15 and NP231 out of a 1997 Wrangler and the old transfer case shifter parts from the AW4/NP242 do not work. I have tried to find the correct bracket for the AX15 but it is not available anywhere, all I can find is the Wrangler one. Anyway, after looking at the design of this Rube Goldberg design that Jeep created it seems it would be much simpler to make a simple swiveling lever that bolts to the boss on the side of the AX15 and directly connect that to the NP231 much like what you would see on a Ford NP208 style shifter. Has anyone done a custom transfer case shifter and if so how did you do it? Thanks in advance for any/all info. Tom

You need to get a different length rod for the bracket. you can use the shifter and linkage you already have its just got to have a different rod. The TJ stuff is absolutely different. You need XJ stuff and that will be junkyard stuff. I know its not an easy pill to swallow but it will bolt together if you get the bracket and rod. Ole Rube doesn't have anything on a Jeep engineer.

OOOOH....

I just came up with a pretty simple idea to keep the current linkage, a stock handle, and make it not connect to the body.

Essentially, make a small bracket that crosses under the linkage, and lead that up to a hacked up version of the body mount bracket, weld these together, and then weld to the tranny mounted plate, and your all good. add a little bracing to it, and it will be perfect, and work like stock, but not pop off the body.

The shifter for the YJ Wrangler bolts directly to the transfer case and seems to be much more positive in operation. Unfortunately, with the stock Wrangler shift lever there's a bit of an interference fit with the ashtray, but with some heating and bending, or perhaps cutting and welding on an offset lever, you'd have something that might be what you're looking for.

My '88 has a YJ shifter in it -- it was that way when I bought it, and I plan to remove it and install an XJ/MJ shifter so I can patch the floor back together where the butcher (errr ... "previous owner") hacked it up. If you want the YJ shifter, you're welcome to it for the price of shipping.

How much of a hurry are you in?