Driveshaft

My 88 pioneer 2wd has the large driveshaft, approximately 4" in diameter. I found out that it's double walled or something.

I'm swapping in an AX-15/NP242 combo. I have seen people say they shorten down the driveshafts on the trans end, but can't shorten the axle end.

I was considering installing the sye on the NP242 so obviously I may can't use the MJ driveshaft at all. Would a XJ driveshaft strength be sufficient if it was lengthened? Since the diameter is 1.75".

My 88 pioneer 2wd has the large driveshaft, approximately 4" in diameter. I found out that it's double walled or something.

I'm swapping in an AX-15/NP242 combo. I have seen people say they shorten down the driveshafts on the trans end, but can't shorten the axle end.

I was considering installing the sye on the NP242 so obviously I may can't use the MJ driveshaft at all. Would a XJ driveshaft strength be sufficient if it was lengthened? Since the diameter is 1.75".

Yes it would, the 2wd driveshafts had a rubber content inside the driveshaft that eventually wear out...

Some have been lucky to have it balanced with no issues...

I'd say lengthen the xj driveshaft as it doesn't have that rubber content in it...

Or have a new one made...

I definitely wouldn't try to shorten the 2WD driveshaft. It is double walled with a rubber sheath inside. When I tried to have mine shorted the shop couldn't balance it because the rubber had deteriorated over the years and was moving around inside. The XJ driveshaft should be fine since it will be shortened by the AX-15/NP242 combo install, even though it's on a LWB truck. It will handle anything the stock 4.0 can give it.

If it was me, and I'm cheap, I'd have a new one made, or source an XJ shaft from a JY and have a "real" drive line shop  spiff and customize it for you.  Yokes, balanced, right length.  I had a DL shop shorten mine, new axle end yoke and U-joint.  They even painted it...LOL and it cost me around $80.  Well worth it.