dammit...clutch slave

hey guys,

I got a new clutch slave a couple of years ago when the clutch was replaced -- I didn't do it. One of those jobs I have no idea about so I haven't attempted it. Anyways, the slave went bad 6 months later. Trans guy was cool and took care of it for me.

I was driving last week in the rain, and as I shifted from 1-2 or 2-3, my foot slipped off the clutch pedal and it came flying up, and the tires chirped. Ever since, had a bit of a boggy pedal, and the catch point is really low now. Is that a common way to blow the seal on the slave? I'm working on collecting a new 2.5/ax5/np231 drivetrain to swap into my tired, tired 182K truck anyway, but I didn't want to send it to the grave before it helped me pick up my new drivetrain! :)

Any thoughts?

T :popcorn:

I'm guessing internal slave, Tom? If yes, are you leaking fluid around the bottom of the bellhousing area (indicator of a blown slave/TO assembly)? If not, maybe try a good bleeding and see if that helps. You might have thrown a big bubble of air when you slipped the pedal, and it's trapped in the system between the MC and the slave. Also check the rear of the MC inside the cab....the pushrod is held in by a circlip holding a cheezy metal disc. It's possible you unseated it and it's sucking in air with each pedal push.

Jeff

Check the fluid level in the clutch master. You may have slipped off the pedal just enough for it to ram back and lose fluid on the firewall side.

On a side note, it's pretty easy to convert an internal slave bell to external on the AX5s. I have one from an '84 I did. (will be posted later for sale)

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, Carnuck-

Thanks! I did add some fluid and drove it awhile soft -- didn't have a helper to pump the clutch while I bled, and it drove itself right! jamminz.gif

I used the truck to go to a local boneyard and pick up an ax5 out of a 2000 XJ with the 2.5/ax5 setup. It's got an external slave, but they cut the line. I'll have to buy the slave and re-do the line. I should be able to hook my existing hydraulics up to it, right?

when I do swap in this trans (same time as engine swap -- see below), I'm keeping my flywheel, so I imagine I can use the same clutch from my 87, with this trans from 2000?

As for engine. I saw there was another thread. It's tough with the late 80's TBI's, but I'm going to try. Already have a clifford header on there. I'm going to get a core 2.5 and have it rebuilt and do a cam and lifters. Unfortunately, fuel delivery is the limiting factor. I have NO desire to do a whole wiring harness swap to MPI! I'd rather swap out both axles (4.10) for 4.56s. My 2.5 is so beat - but runs - that I can turn the crank by grabbing the belt and pulling. It's going to feel turbocharged with just a rebuild! :D

Tom