Krustyballer hitch review.

Knucklehead97

Just got my Krustyballer hitch last night. It is fantastic, I have to say. I have not installed it (will update when I install and test it, it will be a couple months) and the build quality is amazing. The welds are beautiful, everything is lined up perfectly, and the sucker is SOLID and HEAVY. The build quality is much better than the Draw-tite front hitch that I have. I have not found a single con to it, so far, and I don't see me finding one. One thing I was glad to see is that the trailer-chain hook ups are no longer pieces of 1/4" rectangular steel. But a thick piece of steel with holes cut into it (image below.) All together I am VERY pleased with my purchase and can not wait to put it to good use. My other Jeep will be getting one as soon as it's back on the road.

5ylSIFa.jpg

ttfBf27.jpg

Thanks for the good review! Trying to help everybody with getting the full potential out of their Comanches and being fair about it!

6dcd4f84c601a4f4747bd60961356537.jpg

Sent this hitch out the same day as yours. Another satisfied customer.

I've gotten a lot from the members here so these are just my tokens of appreciation to you all (even though you have to buy them, Ha)

Thanks again. Any changes or questions anybody has about the hitches, I'm open to them!

I'm not sure how critical this is but on a factory hitch the 1/4" shims are mounted differently.  Only the (2) most forward shims are welded to the side plates.  The other (4) are loose and slipped into the frame indents during mounting.  I'm not sure why they did this at the factory, maybe so you can hang the hitch on the (2) forward bolts then rotate the hitch up for final mounting?  If the other (4) shims were mounted would they scratch the paint on the frame during assembly?

I'm not sure how critical this is but on a factory hitch the 1/4" shims are mounted differently. Only the (2) most forward shims are welded to the side plates. The other (4) are loose and slipped into the frame indents during mounting. I'm not sure why they did this at the factory, maybe so you can hang the hitch on the (2) forward bolts then rotate the hitch up for final mounting? If the other (4) shims were mounted would they scratch the paint on the frame during assembly?

When I build the hitches, I make the plates, at the furthest most point from the receiver, 46 1/2". The frame is 46 3/8" wide. So there is just the slightest bit of a gap,1/8", so that everything slides on easy and then when bolted and tightened down, everything is snug.

The factory hitch that I copied didn't have any of the spacers attached. All loose and it was a headache to put all those pieces together separately.

Out of the 40+ hitches I've sold, nobody has had any complaints in this area...

Even at stock height I had to support the hitch anyway to get it high enough to line up any of the holes. I had no problems at all getting the side plates over the bulge in the bunker brackets.

In related news, my krusty's hitch just saved my factory bumper from some heavy crunching this evening. I was messing around in the drag snow and followed some tracks that went up a hill through what didn't look like much of a trail until the vehicle had gone up it, alongside a hydro line. I made it a short distance up the hill, spun out, and backed down onto the road except I stopped very abruptly in the ditch. Surprised (because I had no trouble getting through the ditch the first time) I got out and discovered that the receiver had slammed hard into the side of the road. Turning in I went through at a slight angle that was enough to not have that problem. Without the hitch, the bumper would have slammed into the edge of the pavement. I also discovered after getting out and following them a short distance (on foot, never did make it up that hill with open diffs) that whatever made the tracks had tracks instead of wheels. Oops.

Beyond the receiver being packed full of dirt and some scratched paint, everything back there looks A-OK. Solid piece of kit! :thumbsup: