axles with tire size?

I'm looking into gettin a lift kit for my mj. I'm lookin at the rough country 3" or 6.5" lift kits. and of course get the 31" or 33" tires that go with the lift size. I'm just not sure what kind of axles would work with those. i have the stock d30 and d35 axles. I'm wantin to get a d44 rear or get my gearin up to 4.11 in the rear. I'm not sure if i need to mess with the front at all. need some help on what gear ratios i need for the tire size or what axles would work better for the size of tires.

Since I don't know much about the 2.8 as far as power goes when you go to bigger tires, I really can't comment on that. What I can comment on is 31's ahould have no problem with your current setup, and with very lil trimming you can clear them stock. 33's is going to tax the stock 260 u-joints especially if you lock it up, and well the d35 is a crap shoot if it will live with 33's or not. More then likely it will be the weak link.

Patrick

ok well just forget that my truck has the 2.8L because that will not be as soon as i get my 3.4L in it. everyone i talk to says the d35 sucks. I'm not too tech on the axles and stuff so id like to know what is so weak in them and I'm wondering if there is anyway to make it stronger depending on what it is that is so weak in them.

There are several problems with the axle. One is the thin tubes, which have a tendency to bend, The next is the axle shaft diameter. then there is the c-clip factor. I don't see that as a down side unless you break a shaft :shock: Just makes it a lil harder if it is a non c-clip to change on the trail.

A stronger axle would be the 8.25, found in XJ's problem with them is gears only got to 4.56 and there isnt many choices as far as a locker goes.

Then ther is the 8.8, and you would want one from a 96 and newer explorer. Stronger then a D44, and almost as strong as a D60 as far as shaft strength goes, down side is c-clip axles, but the disc brakes will hold them in. Also gearing is limited as well. 4.56 is all that is available from aftermarket, but you can get 4.88 from the stealership.

Then there is the d44, that can be found in 87, and 88? xj and Mj. Strong axle, but kinda pricey. for the money I would just swap in an 8.8, and get the disc brakes.

AMC 20 found in the ton package MJ. I don't know much about this, but maybe some one else on here will chime in on it.

Or last but not least is full width axles. I am preparing to swap in a d60 from a 79 ford. Plans for it are to use 35 spline d70 shafts. For this I have to have my spindles bored out, but it will work fine. Money well spent. Also there will be regearing involed as well as a spool. and H1 bead locks :D

well for right now I'm kind of limited on the cash flow. so I'm stuck with a d35 for now. i want to put d44s under it front and rear but that will be later on. mainly though right now its just gonna be a lifted dd. it will mainly be on the road for now until i get a break from college. so would the d35 with 4.10 gearing work for driving it on the road for now until i can get d44s? remember I'm wantin to put a 6.5 lift with 33s.

I did some research on the AMC 20 when I found one in the yard.

Wicked strong ring and pinion, tubes tend to spin in the pumpkin, best to weld them. The MJ one doesn't use the 2 piece shafts that the CJ one did. It's setup more like a FSJ AMC 20. Apparently very strong, but getting replacement shafts would be a PITA, only used for 1 year in the MJ, as the d44 appeared in 87.

Will a d35 live with 33's. well that depends on your driving style, and what kinda wheeling you do. Like I said I bent 2 axle housing before I upgrade to my 8.8. Both housing that I had bent were the more "desireable" non-C cllip housings. I think if they would have been c-clip axles I would have busted the shafts. I'd try it. At worst you have to replace a d35 housing. they are cheap and easy to find.

Patrick

If you're tight on cash, stick with 3" and 31s. Then get out and enjoy your truck! Trying to get 33s to work right WILL cost money. There are ways to do it that are cheaper than others, but none are truly cheap. Then save up your pennies and go all out when you can afford do it right. The difference in ride height between 31s and 33s is only an inch. in my opinion, armor and driving skill are way more important than lift/tires.

Jeep on!

--Pete

well actually i said i wasnt sure if i need to do anything with the front or not. and I'm not lookin into regearin at the moment. right now I'm lookin at some axles that have 4.10 gearin in them and are a d30 front and d35 rear. just incase i wasnt quite clear enough. but i would like to get some d44s under it front and rear some time.

The front D30 is a lot better axle than the rear D35. To correct one error someone else posted, the D35 in an 86 will NOT be a c-clip axle. Chrysler started the c-clip nonsense in '90 or '91.

Stay with the D35 for now, run 31" tires, and enjoy the woods. The D35 will live fine with 31s if you don't get crazy on the gas peddle.