1987 Comanche won't start (engine won't crank)

Hi guys,

I have a 1987 Jeeep Comanche 4.0. The other day my Comanche would not start or crank. I took off the started, took it in, and I was told it was in bad shape. Got a new one, placed it back in, and then it was a no go as well. I was very certain that it was the starter since they tested the old one and it failed. I then replaced the starter relay and that didn't work as well. So then I went under the truck, went to the starter, and  wired together the positive outlet to what I believe is the solenoid outlet? And then the truck started. So I don't no where else I could look since it won't start through the key ignition but will if i do it manually under the starter. Any ideas? Thank you very much. 

Yes, check the battery cables, make sure they aren't corroded or fraying. If they're good try starting in neutral, or moving the shifter back ad forth from park to neutral and then trying to start. Obviously this only applies to automatic transmissions, but if yours is an automatic, do this: http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/ before replacing any parts.

I will try cleaning the ground and making a cleaner connection tomorrow. My comanche is a manual and I believe it doesn't have the same neutral safety switch as an automatic if I'm correct? Earlier today I was messing with the ignition key switch and got it to start on one of the attempts. I tried and tried for the rest of the night to see if I could get it started again with the key, but failed. Thanks for all the input, hopefully I can get this fixed soon.