need axle ID help

INjake89mj

Found this on a local classifieds page, its a Dana 44, but what is it out of? Any ideas? 00y0y_aeln3yQzvqC_600x450.jpg

00B0B_hGXJdVRiwlG_600x450.jpg

00F0F_hmCiuRyZ2kF_600x450.jpg

missing knuckles, outer stub shafts, and pinion yoke, that kind of worries me. Guy says he got it out a junk yard, has no clue what it came out of. I can't tell, it looks very similar to an xj/tj axle, but maybe jk? Either way I'm buying it, just needing some more info. 

Found this on a local classifieds page, its a Dana 44, but what is it out of? Any ideas? 00y0y_aeln3yQzvqC_600x450.jpg

00B0B_hGXJdVRiwlG_600x450.jpg

00F0F_hmCiuRyZ2kF_600x450.jpg

missing knuckles, outer stub shafts, and pinion yoke, that kind of worries me. Guy says he got it out a junk yard, has no clue what it came out of. I can't tell, it looks very similar to an xj/tj axle, but maybe jk? Either way I'm buying it, just needing some more info. 

if you don't mind me asking how much is he selling it for, does it have the locker in it and what id the gear ratio?

pretty sure its not a JK axle, the drivers side upper control arm mount is different, and the coil buckets/shock mount brackets are different. But I've been wrong before. 

ok this is whats throwing me off after spending more time looking at it. It looks almost exactly like a jeep xj/mj dana 30, but has the front diff shape of a 44. BUT its low pinion, I don't think they made jeep front 44's that were low pinion, besides the wagoners/fs Cherokees. and its obviously newer than that....

pretty sure its not a JK axle, the drivers side upper control arm mount is different, and the coil buckets/shock mount brackets are different. But I've been wrong before. 

ok this is whats throwing me off after spending more time looking at it. It looks almost exactly like a jeep xj/mj dana 30, but has the front diff shape of a 44. BUT its low pinion, I don't think they made jeep front 44's that were low pinion, besides the wagoners/fs Cherokees. and its obviously newer than that....

Every TJ 44 was a low pinion as well. 

Well I won it. Got it bought for $250. Came with pinion yokes and some new bearings.

The guy I bought it off does odd jobs for a land lord. When some one moves out of an apartment, this guy goes in and fixes anything screwed up by the previous renters. Part of his pay is he gets to keep anything left behind. This axle was in a garage at one of these places. He didn't even know it came out of a jeep. 

The air line for the locker is laying loose inside the diff, i need to figure out what it attaches too, what ever it is screws into the side of the housing. Needs all new bearings and seals because I'm not sure if it sat out open in the rain or not. Since it needs knuckles, I'll probably go with the WJ brakes and steering. 

I still need to make a decision, either put money in this axle, re-gear the rear dana 44 to 4.10, and buy the $160 factory air compressor for the locker. Or sell the front 44 and use that money to put into the rest of the truck....decisions decisions 

Well I won it. Got it bought for $250. Came with pinion yokes and some new bearings.

The guy I bought it off does odd jobs for a land lord. When some one moves out of an apartment, this guy goes in and fixes anything screwed up by the previous renters. Part of his pay is he gets to keep anything left behind. This axle was in a garage at one of these places. He didn't even know it came out of a jeep. 

The air line for the locker is laying loose inside the diff, i need to figure out what it attaches too, what ever it is screws into the side of the housing. Needs all new bearings and seals because I'm not sure if it sat out open in the rain or not. Since it needs knuckles, I'll probably go with the WJ brakes and steering. 

I still need to make a decision, either put money in this axle, re-gear the rear dana 44 to 4.10, and buy the $160 factory air compressor for the locker. Or sell the front 44 and use that money to put into the rest of the truck....decisions decisions 

man you really scored!  I would keep it and bolt it up. But that would be my choice... I can tell you that my brother has a 08 jk with the front dana 30. He wanted a bolt on upgrade cause he doesn't have access to a welder and he needed the swap to be able to be done as quick as possible because that is his DD, and his best option besides buying a $2500 currie or rockjock was a stock rubicon front 44 from a jk. Well he finally broke down and found a housing with nothing in it and no knuckles on ebay and won the bid at $850 and he was skied to  get it for that.  Knowing that he will have to spend easily another $800 in parts just to get it on the road......  IF you don't end up using it you should for sure be able to get 3-4 times your money out of it pretty easily. If I was closer I would offer you $600 today to take it off your hands. and you would make a quick $350 profit lol. 

So the plan for now is run it. I ordered thick cut gears for my rear 44 to match the 4.10's in the front. 

Now I'm getting confused on what to do with the missing knuckle/stub shaft issue. Their is is a split for wheel bearing assemblies in 99. That axle would have had the later style of hubs and brakes. Can I still use the pre-99 brakes on the rubi axle?  I have a dana 30 from a 98 that I could rob the stub shafts and knuckles off of. Does the stub shaft change with hub? The hub difference looks like the distance from knuckle to wheel mounting face are different...is this going to change track width? I'm probably just overthinking this, but I would rather order once and be done... 

I had planned a WJ knuckle swap for the 30, but the regear has cut into my funds, so for now I gotta run all original stuff.