Early XJ hatch/tailgate lock cylinder?

DirtyComanche

Not MJ tech, so I put it here...  Anyone know where I could buy a hatch lock cylinder and key for a 89 XJ?  I can't find a used one with the key, and can't find a listing for a new one.  Oldest I'm finding is 94, and it doesn't look the same.  Worst case I will take a couple of my broken ones to a locksmith, but that will probably be more money than buying one, if I can find one...

I have a fiberglass hard cover on my Silverado, a factory installed part.  When I bought the truck the owner didn't have the keys.  Went to a local locksmith in Jacksonville NC and paid less than $15 to have two keys made.  I called around beforehand and prices varied widely.  Shop around and you may find a locksmith with reasonable prices.

There isn't a lot of options in this part of the world...  But yeah, I'm probably just going to be paying whatever it is and so be it.  Or it looks like you can just rekey it yourself, the cover is a crimped on retainer for the guts of the lock.  I can get the covers, just it will be cross border shipping.  Doesn't fix the problem that I don't have a cylinder that isn't broken (the arm on the back of them breaks off if you're a numpty).

I dunno what that set is for.  YJ?  If you click the applications thing it makes almost zero sense. :rotf:

I found a 92? latch at the wrecker today, no key, but the guy knows me so he just let me take it.  It's different, uses the Chrysler bisexual key rather than the GM/AMC style keys, but it functions and fits the same otherwise.  I'm going to take it to the locksmith tomorrow hopefully, but I might phone the big truck wrecker and the import wrecker first.  They both tend to have an XJ or two in their yard (the big truck wrecker has a nice MJ that I've debated trying to save), but normally they're pretty useless if you call them.

It's this style of latch, which is listed as fitting a 94, and only a 94, but the Jeep I took it from I really don't think was a 94. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cwa-4746293/overview/

They don't sell it with a key either, and I don't have a key of that style (other than for another Jeep), so it's kinda useless for me to buy that one anyways.  I guess it comes with the cap to crimp it back together, so that's something.

Well, to close the saga I wound up getting one with a key from the big truck wrecker.  Which was a whole story in itself, since they're a very weird bunch to deal with at the best of times.  I dropped the one without a key off at the locksmith, and after a couple days of them not looking at it I got the hint that they really didn't want to touch it.

Really didn't expect it to be so hard, but that's how it goes.