A couple of questions.....

I think a couple are you guys are running or have run the Warn hub conversion. I picked up a new to me D30 for my TJ and found something. I haven't played with any and wondered about this.....

And secondly.

My Bilsteins in the front of the MJ are valved a bit soft. I think they are 170/60. I am going to swap them for 255/70's and at the same time upgrade to the 5150's. (Front only).

Trouble is, they are eye/eye con-fig. So I will need to get the JKS eye to stud conversion for the top. ( I have BPE's for the bottom already) I cannot find a PN for the correct one for the XJ/MJ. All I can find are YJ and TJ Wranglers. Any know for sure if the YJ is the same as the XJ/MJ? This is my belief but would like some conformations.

Thanks in advance!!

CW

Gonna answer my own second question here as I called JKS and got it straight from them. YES the YJ piece/PN is the same for the XJ/MJ.

As for the first question.....upon disassembly, and speaking with Juan. there is a set of bearings under the spindle that the shaft rides on. Going to this setup in effect makes the front axle a full floater so no real weight is one the axleshafts them selves. So riding on the hub for outter support is correct.

Now I am trying to find out if the late model ford Ranger/Bronco II hubs are the same as my warn pieces. they sure look it!! Anyone??

Dirty, Pong???

CW

I am not sure if that makes the axle a full floater. Since the rotors are supported by bearing I would say yes, but I am not 100%

I can't answer your question about the hubs.. I am pretty positive that a d44 hub is a d44 hub

CW,

even the stock unit bearing takes all the load, so I don't think you need to worry about that shaft.

That's the same thing the unit bearing would do if you removed the stub shaft nut.

Yes the unit bearing WITH the axle does support the load. Not by itself.

PLEASE NO ONE TRY THIS!! Your tire WILL absolutely come off!!!

The stub shaft IS REQUIRED with unit bearings. Unit bearings are built to have the added support of the stub shaft and the nut compressing everything together. It would work for rolling it around in the shop or parking lot, but thats about all!!

Some years back a company tried this and people where hurt BADLY. They where sued and abruptly closed!!! When I remember the name I'll post it.

CW,

even the stock unit bearing takes all the load, so I don't think you need to worry about that shaft.

That's the same thing the unit bearing would do if you removed the stub shaft nut.

The stub shaft IS REQUIRED with unit bearings. Unit bearings are built to have the added support of the stub shaft and the nut compressing everything together. It would work for rolling it around in the shop or parking lot, but thats about all!!

Some years back a company tried this and people where hurt BADLY. They where sued and abruptly closed!!! When I remember the name I'll post it.

you do need the stub, but you don't have to have a 4wd one. the 2wd is the same without the ujoint mounts.

Not all years used a hub/bearing unit for the 2WD fronts. At least one of my 2WD MJs (I think the '88, maybe the '86 as well) uses a conventional spindle and wheel bearings, just like a (ugh) car.

Now I am trying to find out if the late model ford Ranger/Bronco II hubs are the same as my warn pieces. they sure look it!! Anyone??

Dirty, Pong???

CW

I can't help you. They aren't something I'm framiliar with. But, I'd get some junkyard parts and see if anything matches. The spindle in that kit is custom. But it stands to reason that they'd use the parts from something else for the rest of it to save money and really maximize profits.

And yeah, unit bearings without a stub shaft = failure. I have stub shafts with the yokes cut off of them to make a 4wd axle into 2wd in a pinch. Well, had, I gave them away.

CW,

Correct. We found this out the hard way a month and a half ago, when one of the local club members snapped his stub shaft, no parts or tools on site. It was about a 5 mile trek to the closest member's house (everyone was meeting there anyways), however, that 5 miles with a snapped stub shaft on a 04 Rubi was enough to kill the unit bearing. I had to come to the rescue with a stub shaft, and we didn't know about the unit bearing failure until I arrived with a stub shaft and we pulled it apart.

We have now found it's ALWAYS a good idea to carry an old swapped out one on the floor of somebody's jeep now. That, and a 13mm wrench, and 36mm socket with breaker bar. Keeping those old ones that aren't technically bad, just high mileage is probably some damn good trail insurance. That, and stub shafts are a good idea to accompany them.

When Pong was running the d30 I always carries a spare stub and wheel bearing. I can't tell you how many ppl have used my spare wheel bearing or how many ppl I sold spare axle shafts to, cause they thought they didn't need them :nuts:

I didn't advocate running the unit bearing without the stub shaft.

I was merely pointing out that the stub shaft doesn't actually CARRY any load, it's just there to hold the bearing together with the correct preload.

Sorry if my response came off strong. I don't mean any disrespect. I just wanted to clearly and decisively state that is is not a safe practice. I did so because I don't want anyone to get hurt, that's all.

I know what you mean, but as it won't last long with out the shaft, Ththe shaft is required. So I look at it as a apples to oranges comparison.

CW