Question: Best Tow Hook mounting options?

Ok, so I am building up this MJ and want to add tow hook provisions front and rear. Would I be better off using a front receiver hitch or one of the aftermarket tow hook kits out there. Also what's the best way to mount a tow hook in the rear? I have a step bumper now and wonder if there is a receiver hitch available for the SWB 6 foot bed MJ or is there other options for rear tow hook mounts? Any opinions, photos, suggestions, etc. would be helpful. Thanks, Tom

a front hitch is best because it spreads the load over 2 mounts, and you are pulling from the middle, not just one side. I have hooks, for the simple reason that it was cheaper to get hooks. For hooks, i recomend the C4x4 hooks from jeepinoutfitters.com. for the rear, i made a bumper with a hitch reciever built in. MY MJ does have a hook in the back, and it attaches to the frame rail, but its rusty and unsafe to use. i can get a quick pic for you to see what i mean.

I found a hidden hitch front 2" receiver #5025 that is listed for the Cherokee and XJ Wagoneer. I assume it will also fit the Comanche. I went ahead and ordered one shipped for $109.99 which seems to be a good price with shipping included. This should also allow me to use a front mounted hitch as well as a good tow point. Still looking for a good rear solution to a recovery point or receiver hitch. Tom

Who make's a good hitch for the rear that fits the SWB 6' bed? Thanks

I don't think anyone makes one for a shortbed, but I bet you could make it work.

hopefuly jeff pipes in, he got pongs old bumper (LWB) and adapted it to his shortbed.

some cutting was needed.

The only real differenc between the way Jeff got my bumper and the way it looks is we cut the rock rails off.

Hopefully soon I will have a few mocked up and ready for sale. Been kinda hard to make time for ppl to come by so I can final weld brackets to bumpers and put them on the market

The only real differenc between the way Jeff got my bumper and the way it looks is we cut the rock rails off.

Hopefully soon I will have a few mocked up and ready for sale. Been kinda hard to make time for ppl to come by so I can final weld brackets to bumpers and put them on the market

Do you have a sign-up for folks interested in a new rear bumper? Any link to threads with info on the project?

Thanks.

Draw Tite makes a rear hitch which fits either long or short bed but says with factory installed step bumper only. The part number is 75021.

Here's the link for it mounted on my short bed.

http://home.comcast.net/~fiatslug87/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Here it is for $158 (+shipping).

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1547&bool=AND&category=c_search&maxhits=10&keywords=1990&keywords_2=JEEP+COMANCHE&GO=GO%21

EDIT: It's a 2" receiver by the way.

Who make's a good hitch for the rear that fits the SWB 6' bed? Thanks

I'm not sure who, BUT I know you can go to the jy and get one for cheap from a different vehicle. as long as it's main tube is wide enough, you can make your own ends to mount it up.

I can facilitate measurements and/or send you a tracing of my swb tow bar mounting points and such...as I have it off of the 89 at the moment (orig. owner supposed to get back...I'm making him one instead :D)

this offer is extended to anyone who is interested, PM me and I can trace it onto a section of cardboard and send that to you. they're the same on both sides.

Do you have a sign-up for folks interested in a new rear bumper? Any link to threads with info on the project?

Thanks.

I am hoping to have a bumper jig built here soon. I want the fit to be perfect, and since my rig has been "slightly" modified, I can't use it. Also ther is a geat deal of expense in doing it "right", and I have to make money at a real job so I can afford to do it