Transmission temp gauge sending unit location ?

I've added a temp gauge to a TH400 before.  I welded in a threaded bung to the side of the oil pan to accept the electrical sending unit.  I think another option is to add a fitting for the sending unit to one of the cooler lines.  I've seen where people have added sensors to both lines, and they can toggle between them.  This way they can see the temp of the fluid as it leaves the trans (HOT) and how much temp drop the cooler is providing.  Keep in mind the sender has to have a path to ground.

Neither method are specific to an AW4.  If there is a better way that is specific to the AW4 I'm sure someone will chime in.

I welded a bung on the pan. I put it on the side, on the flat space. 

Actually turned out not to be the best space. When pulling the transmission, the sensor hit the floor. Should have put it up higher.

I've read there is a "test" port on the AW4 that some use to mount the sensor. I've seen others use a T adapter on one of the cooler lines. I prefer not to add failure points, however that method works too. 

Image Not Found

Check out post #48 in the below link. That's where I'm going to put mine (when I get around to it).   :yes:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/great-info-threads-here-6558/index4/

:thumbsup:  Thanks Hornbrod, this is going to be much easier than I thought :wrench:

That's hole is where factory tranny temp gauges were installed on the Aisin A340 transmissions. The Jeep AW4 version never got tranny temp gauges, so it's just capped off.