Ballast resister/ Fuel pump relay

'86 2.5 liter TBI...... Looked under the hood for the ballast resistor and there's not one.I read that someone couldn't find theirs either. Is this common? I bought this truck new and unless someone took this off with out telling me,which I doubt because I do almost all the repairs myself and I know anyone else who's done the work, then there is not or never was a ballast resister on this truck. And also, can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay is,or what it looks like?

well that should explain that. What about the fuel pump relay? I looked under the dash,by the fuses, but found no relay for the fuel pump. Under the hood I saw the three blue relays on the passenger side. I took them out one at a time and still had about 7 volts to the pump with each one removed. Where could it be and what does it look like? :???:

IIRC it should be the relay in the middle of the three on the right front wheel well. if its out then you should not have power to the pump. make sure the 7 volts you are testing is not the sending unit voltage from the tank.

Don't know about your 86 2.5, but on my 91 4.0 it's located in the PDC.

the PDC was something chryco introduced when they went HO, the rest of us are stuck with a much nastier rats nest of wires from AMC.

on my 87 4.0 it is the middle relay.

the PDC was something chryco introduced when they went HO, the rest of us are stuck with a much nastier rats nest of wires from AMC. on my 87 4.0 it is the middle relay.

Thanks - didn't know that.

the PDC was something chryco introduced when they went HO, the rest of us are stuck with a much nastier rats nest of wires from AMC. on my 87 4.0 it is the middle relay.

Thanks - didn't know that.

yeah chryco certainly did clean up a lot of AMC's half assed wiring.

I've got a PDC from a 94 that I need to graft into mine.

I HATE fusible links.

'86 2.5 liter TBI...... Looked under the hood for the ballast resistor and there's not one.I read that someone couldn't find theirs either. Is this common? I bought this truck new and unless someone took this off with out telling me,which I doubt because I do almost all the repairs myself and I know anyone else who's done the work, then there is not or never was a ballast resister on this truck. And also, can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay is,or what it looks like?

The 1986 Comanche doesn't have a ballast resistor. My 1986 with the 2.5L TBI doesn't have one either. They started using the ballast resistor in 1987. I don't know if the 1987 and up 2.5L has one or not. I know the 4.0L has a ballast resistor.