Newby + Carb Question

Hey guys,

As of Sunday I'm the proud new owner of a 1986 "Custom" 2WD and I found this board within an hour of the purchase. She's bone stock with paint-matched original canopy. Not a speck of rust - the previous owner was obsessive about maintenance. Remarkably good condition for a 21 year old truck with 145k miles. As soon as I figure out how I'll post a couple pictures.

As for my question: I've got the gutless 2.8L V6 with the 2bbl carb. Everyone's fave, I know. I've definitely read the 3.4L swap articles with an eye on the future. But in the meantime, the carb is in need of a rebuild. Since I read that the stock carb would "choke the life out of a lawnmower" I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good time to select an aftermarket that will do a better job until the engine swap...

I also read that no matter how much $ you spend on it, the 2.8 will still suck. Is it worth it? If so, any specific suggestions? Any aftermarket models that can use the stock intake manifold?

Thanks!

Scott

(I know the rules say no apologizing, but sorry if there was already a discussion about this. I read about 30 pages of posting before giving up and there's no search function on this board.)

Well welcome to the club were glad to have ya .

i to own an 86 with the 2.8 and even though its the gutless wonder i still like the engine , it has taken a beating and has kept on going (for me anyway) up until a wile ago . anywas to answer ur question Weber makes great little carb to up grade to but is not smog legal if it matters to ya .

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/kits/k490.htm

also edelbrock makes in intake manifold ,it is a 2 piece ( seperate top and bottom) 1 top for the stock setup and the 2 is for a standard 4 barel carb.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... perf.shtml and headers

.http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... _-1_314592

o ya beers in the cooler image_209027.gif

Hey guys,

As of Sunday I'm the proud new owner of a 1986 "Custom" 2WD and I found this board within an hour of the purchase. She's bone stock with paint-matched original canopy. Not a speck of rust - the previous owner was obsessive about maintenance. Remarkably good condition for a 21 year old truck with 145k miles. As soon as I figure out how I'll post a couple pictures.

As for my question: I've got the gutless 2.8L V6 with the 2bbl carb. Everyone's fave, I know. I've definitely read the 3.4L swap articles with an eye on the future. But in the meantime, the carb is in need of a rebuild. Since I read that the stock carb would "choke the life out of a lawnmower" I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good time to select an aftermarket that will do a better job until the engine swap...

I also read that no matter how much $ you spend on it, the 2.8 will still suck. Is it worth it? If so, any specific suggestions? Any aftermarket models that can use the stock intake manifold?

Thanks!

Scott

(I know the rules say no apologizing, but sorry if there was already a discussion about this. I read about 30 pages of posting before giving up and there's no search function on this board.)

Alright, you can do large performance mods to the 2.8 to make it better. the best in tangem would be an overbore to a 3.5, new advanced cams and lifters, 4 barrel edelbrock intake for a holley 4bbl 390cfm carb, and a better oil pickup tube.

I just sold my old 2.8 out of my MJ3800 for $25. the guy did all of these mods and it is performing at 170 horse now and drives like a bat out of hell according to him.

Personally, I liked the idea of the 3.8 swap. the wiring isn't all that hard, it does require a VATS bypass module from bakerelectronics.com ($30) to bypass the antitheft fuel rail shutoff. the engine can be run seperate of the truck harness with the only wires tieing into the actual truck harness being your tachometer output (green and white/yellow wire coming from ign coil on the 2.8), and your oil pressure (green wire that goes to oil filter), and temperature sending unit (pink wire that goes to the front left head). other than that, it's about 7 wires when combined...battery power, ground, electric fan power, fuel pump relay output, IGN on and cranking power, and that's about it. wire crimpers, cutters/strippers, some 2 end line crimps, and shrink tube/lighter will make it all work.

The 3.4 has to come out of a 1991 to 1994 or 95 camaro/firebird 3.4, as it's a RWD engine and bolt-in. change to 2.8 exhaust manifolds, oil pan (if desired), and motor mounts and you are all set. other than needing to neutrally balance the flywheel or flexplate from the 2.8 to mount it to the 3.4. suggestion...if you have a stick, get a stickshift camaro for parts, no need to swap flywheels then.

I did a 3800 camaro swap into my 86 2.8 and it's more involved but same basic principle regarding wiring, but requres custom motor mounts and exhaust manifolds.

here's that swap. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...I'd just replace the rear main seal when i did it, and also either remove the a/c or move the right motor mount backwards farther.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3582

don't attempt to rebuild the 2.8 stock carb. it is far too complicated to even begin with, I refuse to touch one as does my father, and we do carb. rebuilds on many different things on a regular basis. if you must do something, run carb. cleaner through your fuel and spray carb cleaner into the carb.

o ya beers in the cooler image_209027.gif

welcome :cheers:

search should be up top with all those other links n stuff..

to post pics go to Comanche Club Image Hosting and make an account free, then upload them there, and copy the little IMG line from under the pic on that website and put it in the text of your post wherever you want the pic

jamminz.gif for clean mjs

Hey jeepco those carbs aint that hard the trick is watchn someone that knows what there doin once and its easy / also don't loose anything and don't forget were everything goes other wise find a competent shop experienced in the 2se and let them do it. Hell i still take mine in even thought iv done it ( never said it was fun :)

Hey jeepco those carbs aint that hard the trick is watchn someone that knows what there doin once and its easy / also don't loose anything and don't forget were everything goes other wise find a competent shop experienced in the 2se and let them do it. Hell i still take mine in even thought iv done it ( never said it was fun :)

haha, the fun part, time part, and organising while disassembling part pisses me off. there is NO need for a carb to have that much vacuum crap.

I didn't say it can't be done or isn't doable, I've done it myself on my 2.8 carb and for the meazly .5 mpg increase it wasn't worth the time.

Thanks for all the responses. You pretty much confirmed my impression that I'd be better spending as little as possible on the 2.8 and drive it until it won't drive any more. Then swap the bugger out.

Thanks for all the good info, too. Much appreciated...

Next round's on me! :cheers:

Alright, you can do large performance mods to the 2.8 to make it better. the best in tangem would be an overbore to a 3.5, new advanced cams and lifters, 4 barrel edelbrock intake for a holley 4bbl 390cfm carb, and a better oil pickup tube.

I just sold my old 2.8 out of my MJ3800 for $25. the guy did all of these mods and it is performing at 170 horse now and drives like a bat out of hell according to him.

Personally, I liked the idea of the 3.8 swap. the wiring isn't all that hard, it does require a VATS bypass module from bakerelectronics.com ($30) to bypass the antitheft fuel rail shutoff. the engine can be run seperate of the truck harness with the only wires tieing into the actual truck harness being your tachometer output (green and white/yellow wire coming from ign coil on the 2.8), and your oil pressure (green wire that goes to oil filter), and temperature sending unit (pink wire that goes to the front left head). other than that, it's about 7 wires when combined...battery power, ground, electric fan power, fuel pump relay output, IGN on and cranking power, and that's about it. wire crimpers, cutters/strippers, some 2 end line crimps, and shrink tube/lighter will make it all work.

The 3.4 has to come out of a 1991 to 1994 or 95 camaro/firebird 3.4, as it's a RWD engine and bolt-in. change to 2.8 exhaust manifolds, oil pan (if desired), and motor mounts and you are all set. other than needing to neutrally balance the flywheel or flexplate from the 2.8 to mount it to the 3.4. suggestion...if you have a stick, get a stickshift camaro for parts, no need to swap flywheels then.

I did a 3800 camaro swap into my 86 2.8 and it's more involved but same basic principle regarding wiring, but requres custom motor mounts and exhaust manifolds.

here's that swap. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...I'd just replace the rear main seal when i did it, and also either remove the a/c or move the right motor mount backwards farther.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3582

Hey JeepCo, thanks dude. I've got an auto trans. If I did get a Camaro 3.4 w/ manual would I be able to convert pretty easily? Maybe dig up the clutch pedal/assy from a donor MJ?

Hey JeepCo, thanks dude. I've got an auto trans. If I did get a Camaro 3.4 w/ manual would I be able to convert pretty easily? Maybe dig up the clutch pedal/assy from a donor MJ?

yes, you need a ax5 manual transmisssion for the 4wd (if you want 4wd), and you'll need a new clutch and pressure plate for the ax5 as well as the ax5 throw-out bearing (included in a clutch kit but I have a new one if you'd need it).

it's basically bolt-in, the clutch pedal/brake assembly basically bolts in, and you'd just remove the auto tranny shifter to open the hole up. fairly straightforward swap to the ax5 if you have a donor vehicle or get everything you could need from a donor vehicle (and remember what it all does). also replace the throwout bearing while you're at it, and a new slave cylinder might be recommended.

get a 3.4 for the tranny you want...manual or auto. otherwise like i said you CAN put the 2.8 flywheel/flexplate on it, but it has to be machined to be neutrally balanced.

getting a complete parts camaro is best...otherwise you will want to pull it yourself at the yard to insure that you get everything wire-wise. the engine computer is inside the engine compartment on the 3.4 and 3.4 camaro/firebird, and a good spot for it in the comanche is right in front of your heater fan.

needed are the electric fan(s), relay center, battery wires, all wires to engine computer, engine itself, fuel injection system, and thats about it. upgrade t o new fuel lines, and you will need either an in-tank fuel pump, or an in-line one. I am running a in-line fuel pump from a 1988 ford 5.9 (or 5.8???) v8. it really should have a 2.5 fuel pump as a pre-pump in it. a 2.5 fuel pump will not produce enough pressure to work with the 3.4, and the 2.8's mechanical fuel pump cannot be fitted to the 3.4 as the 3.4 is not machined for a mechanical pump though it is the same block.

hope that all helps, if you need anything let me know as I have followed this project alot since i was going to do it, and we may be doing it to beaterjeep's 1986 longbed if we don't go TBI from a s10 2.8. his 2.8 is already bored to a 3.2 and just needs a new rear main...so we're thinkin of just fixing it and FI it it'll out-perform a stock 2.8 and get 15mpg.