8.8 diff cover thread replacement

So a while ago I stripped the highest bolt on the diff so I drilled out the hole and tap in a bigger bolt. Well this weekend I didn't like how it looked becuase it was kind of crooked and looked like it didn't go all the way in. so I drilled the hole a little deeper and put new threads in. Well the tap snapped off it there. I've tapped many things before and never had a problem like that. After countless runs to the hardware store, I ended up having to blow it out with the acetylene torch. The whole was then messy from the torch so I heated the housing up to 400 degrees and welded up

The hole. Then I started to drill a new hole but my bits wouldn't have it. I then called the shop and they said that it's too hard to drill and they can't do It. What should I do? The guys at the

hardware store thought it'd be ok to do that. Should I just load a lot of rtv in there? Thanks and it seems like I'm always making retarded mistakes

if it was me, I'd put the cover on as normal and see what happens sans bolt.  being the highest bolt, it might not leak at all :D

that's what I did till I got un-lazy enough to put one in. except mine was closer to the 10-o-clock position