making a trailer out of your xj or MJ

JeepcoMJ

hahaha,

well, project tatersalad is out the door...i needed the tranny for my 3800.

uh, then there's project project (89 pioneer shortbed)

Turbo Deuce is my dad's turbo diesel...on it's second rebuild

gordy is my brother's 87 mj

then of course MJ3800

then there was the mj on j10 frame which has since become a diagrammed idea on the computer...that's a fancy for the future

the 87 sport truck...which is sold

can't think of anything else...my ideas are a bit eccentric if not anal when it comes to building things :nuts: ...so if i can't make it perfect (in my eyes), i won't usually do it. exception to that is the black interior in the 3800...i want it so bad that i'm willing to paint parts to work in the meantime.

Oh boy...you have really perked my interest with this one...... I have been wanting a Jeep trail for some time....

I also happen to have a XJ sitting in the back ready to get chopped!!! :brows: :brows: :brows: :brows: :brows:

CW

I'd chop it at the top of the windshield and put the back of an MJ cab on it with the sliding window on it.

like this

2jq4.jpg

except longer. then the front doors would be cut down and welded inand I would have acrylic windows made to fit the smaller opening.

rear doors would still open..actually, it would make sense to just weld shut one side permenently, and make the other side into one large door that opens upwards. It would have it's own generator and nice electric air compressor as well as water tank and as this guy plans, the top would unfold into a hanging tent.

the thing is that this can only really be a pure-camping item as ya wouldn't be able to pull it behind you on the trail in most scenarios. then you run into the problem of it being a trailer and the fact that someone could just walk off with it if they had a bolt cutter.

As to off-road capability, there's trailors that actually, umm, drive?

It's sorta like a PTO output on the back of a tractor to run all the attachments, but instead it just spins a driveshaft that drives the trailor axle. There was a big chevy with rockwells on the front of a rag not that long ago that used a setup like that (I think).

Anyways, I have no idea what it's called, and you need a funky tcase or rockwell axles to make it work. I think it would add a huge new dimension to wheeling. Think of how bad it can be to back up a trailor in a parking lot. Now throw in some rocks and it wanting to go where-ever it wants. Ohhh, that could be fun.

As to off-road capability, there's trailors that actually, umm, drive?

It's sorta like a PTO output on the back of a tractor to run all the attachments, but instead it just spins a driveshaft that drives the trailor axle. There was a big chevy with rockwells on the front of a rag not that long ago that used a setup like that (I think).

Anyways, I have no idea what it's called, and you need a funky tcase or rockwell axles to make it work. I think it would add a huge new dimension to wheeling. Think of how bad it can be to back up a trailor in a parking lot. Now throw in some rocks and it wanting to go where-ever it wants. Ohhh, that could be fun.

hehe, i know all about the pto drive setup. to make it functional for offroad you'd basically have to have 2 hydraulic cylinders attatched between your rear bumper and trailer, either side of the A-frame (trailer hitch piece). they'd have to be mounted on universal joints on each end, but basically that would keep the trailer going where you want it to. well, right and left. up and down...well, that's something it needs to be free to do.

yeah, wheeling would be harder with that. alot harder.

If anyone wants an XJ shell to make into a trailer, let me know. I have one that's already stripped and soon to be cut up to haul to the transfer station in small pieces. That one would have to be a shorty, though, or else you'd have to patch the roof because it had a sunroof that I cut out to give a friend in NAXJA who rolled his XJ at Paragon a couple of years ago and smashed his sunroof.

The other one is waiting for me to pull the engine and drive train and has a solid roof. Both are 4-doors. Both were hit in the front and are fairly straight in the back. (The second one has a bent driver's side A pillar, I think, but would be fine if built like the one in the Australian photos.)

There was a big chevy with rockwells on the front of a rag not that long ago that used a setup like that (I think).
That was the big @$$ Chevy with rockwells and the matching trailer made with a matching bed?

If so, It only has a pintle hitch connecting the trailer, however, the trailer has the rockwell, but it's only purpose is for the pinion brake (extra e-brake). (Four Wheeler mag's July 2007 Issue)

I have a great idea to incorporate a driveshaft to the trailer, but built into a custom hitch setup.

Essentially, there would be a cage around the driveshaft connecting the rig with it's trailer, and it would have a up/down pivot at one end, while the side/side pivot at at the other end. For articulation, there would be a big bearing that would go around this cage, between the pivot points, and able to withstabe some pretty harsh conditions. The driveshaft would essentially just go through the middle of the cage, and there would be no strain front to rear on the driveshaft itself, although, it would have a slip yoke built into the driveshaft. The cage would also be a larger diameter in the center or or get larger as it goes back to allow for movement of the driveshaft without hitting the cage. It would be nice to incorporate a easy way to detatch the trailer if it is not needed. I'll have to draw it up sometime. It's a great idea, and maybe some millenium, I will get to try it myself.

I think a 4x4 trailer is a good idea, but the problem is that ya can't control it's left to right motion. up and down motion don't necessarily be controlled, but I want the trailer to turn as I need it at the flip of a switch...or a slaved hydraulic system to the steering column that controls 2 hydraulic rams positioned between the rear bumper and the front of the bed they'd act like a steering system.

to me that would maybe make backing up etc. going over rocks easier.

or a slaved hydraulic system to the steering column that controls 2 hydraulic rams positioned between the rear bumper and the front of the bed they'd act like a steering system.
Well, you'd only need one ram, as long as it is powerful enough, and could be controlled.

Another idea, is to put a steering axle right on the trailer that is a full hydro setup with a high powered electric pump to drive it. add some sensors to the steering wheel, so the trailer would know just how much to steer, and also, allow the trailer steering to auto center, and shut off when not needed.