Tan to black interior - need feedback/suggestions/etc

So I've had my MJ for about a week and considering switching interior from tan to black. I'm asking for advice on best ways to do this. I saw a post showing how interior panels were painted. I'm wondering what the best product is for this and if it'll work on the dash. Also need black door panels. Also need carpet and a bench seat. I'm in East Central Florida area, so most items will need to be shipped. I'm open to any advice on this.

So I've had my MJ for about a week and considering switching interior from tan to black. I'm asking for advice on best ways to do this. I saw a post showing how interior panels were painted. I'm wondering what the best product is for this and if it'll work on the dash. Also need black door panels. Also need carpet and a bench seat. I'm in East Central Florida area, so most items will need to be shipped. I'm open to any advice on this.

Advice: Post which items you want in the Classifieds - Wanted forum.

Found the link for the carpet in another post. I'm wondering if I can get the interior door panels done locally at an upholstery shop?

You sure can. Just drive your rig to a local shop and get an estimate.

I would suggest leaving it alone.  I am amazed at the infatuation with black interior.  While it looks nice, other colors look great too.  Tan is my personal favorite. Black will be expensive if you get it reupholstered.  If you chose not to paint,  black parts will be difficult if not impossible to find.   It was in production for only a couple years.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions thus far. One of the reasons for changing the color to black is the tan interior is pretty dingy. I believe it'd take more work to bring it to its former glory than to change to black. The fact that it was offered at all is good to know.

Jeff, that interior looks great. I have a bench seat and want to keep it. Found some black door panels on eBay, but a bit pricey right now. I can easily go into the poor house quickly on this one.

Thanks for the info on the AMC and years the black interior was offered.

Found a local auto parts store with a moving sale and picked up some rattle cans in black for the interior. Will experiment on things and let ya'll know how it goes

Thanks.  Mine had a bench, but I swapped it out for those XJ rocker buckets (reused the bench floor brackets).  Not only more comfortable, but the cloth seats were much, much cooler.

Did I mention that the black interior was HOT? :rotf:

I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now, my interior is tan also and I'm  painting it black here's a link to the products I've been using. Ive painted a few panels already and they look very very good.

Soap

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39362 

Prep spray

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-38353

Paint

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-15013