gauge cluster, will this work?

there is an 86 with an auto trans with a full gauge cluster at the JY, I'm looking to put it in my 87 with a maunal tranny, will this work? all it has to have it the mechanical spedo right? then the sensor swaps.

Thanks,

Jonathan

yes and no. yours is a 4.0 and that's either a 2.5, 2.8, or 2.1. technically you're not supposed to be able to do it.

BUT, I have found that as long as it's not a high output gauge cluster, it will work. all you will need is the oil pressure sending unit for a gauge-equipped 87 4.0, and the temperature sending unit for the gauge-equipped 87 4.0

replace any bulbs that look bad, plug it in, and voila.

so am I or am i not going to be able to use that cluster? i know that i will have to change the sensors.

is there a change between the year, engine, drive train, anything, or did they use one gauge cluster for all (asside from the mechanical/electronic spedo)?

no high output one will work with any renix systems. the fuel gauge will read wrong and the polarity of the gauges is reversed. so that'd mean using newer-style sensors and replacing the fuel gauge one as well.

the cluster will work as long as you get the correct sensors.

lostissues, I've put Renix gauge clusters in my 86 2.8 to test them for functioning. they worked.

what engine is in the 86? it sure as hell isn't a 4.0 but i'd bet it will work.

I say yes.

it's always safest to get one from the exact year but since I've tested it probably 7 or 8 different times with gauge clusters, I feel that it's all good.

not necessarily the truth freerock...tachometers don't run on the number of cylinders typically, they run on an algorithm of beats per rotation...a.k.a. it's like a CPS in a way. basically they pick up a signal and send X signal based on how many rotations there are. that's the real dumbed down version.

it would cause some concern if it were a 4.0 vs. a 2.5 in my opinion, but I know that a 2.5 cluster also works in my 86 with the 2.8. actually, I was surprised when i put the camaro engine in that the tach still functioned exactly perfectly.

:P jeep made it simple. I could be entirely wrong and just have one f*d up truck, but everything but the H.O. gauges worked on it so I am going to assume it's the case.

if anyone can correct my previous statement, please do. from what research i've done, that's what i've gleamed and it's proven the case in my case.

lostissues,

IIRC the speedometer cables are different between the 84-86 and 87-90's. I believe you will need the upper cable from the donor vehicle (or vice versa) in order to do this swap.

here's a link that does a pretty good job of describing the differences and what to do about it: http://www.jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/

Hope this helps :chillin: !

lostissues,

IIRC the speedometer cables are different between the 84-86 and 87-90's. I believe you will need the upper cable from the donor vehicle (or vice versa) in order to do this swap.

here's a link that does a pretty good job of describing the differences and what to do about it: http://www.jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/

Hope this helps :chillin: !

possible. keep in mind that the upper cable is only used in a case with cruise control...otherwise its a complete cable from transfercase on up.

any cherokee cable will work.

so from an 86 to an 87 both non HO they should be fine, right? just want to make sure before i grab it and find out its useless to me.

The '88 uses a white nylon push connector to hold the speedo cable into the speedo. The older ones used a metal connector with a retaining screw. Either all 87s used the old style, or 87 was a swing year and the change was made mid-year. You'll have to verify which type of speedo connection is in the cluster you want to use.

I can't remember if it's possible to swap the speedos between the two cluster types.

Thank you for the correction then. I was under the assumption that the tachometer was based off the firing of one single cylinder meaning that a 4-cyl tach on a 6-cyl would be off by 1/3 of it's reading.

You are correct. Almost. It counts ignition pulses, but not limited to one cylinder. It does make a difference if it's a 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engine.

These are 4-stroke engines, so for one revolution a 4-banger has 2 pulses, and a 6-cylinder has three. Lets say the tach counts 600 pulses. If it's a four cylinder tach, it's going to report that as 300 RPM. If it's a six-cylinder tach, it'll report it as 200 RPM.