How to cut out for PRNDL indicator for column shift full gauges

OK so here’s how I did a pretty good job of cutting a slot in the full gauge cluster package tachometer so my column shift indicator fits like stock.

There are other instructions here on swapping the clusters and such, so I will just focus on cutting the tachometer face plate and securing the indicator to the face.

1. Lay the old gas gauge face onto the tachometer or measure where you want to cut on the tach face. I used a fine Sharpie marker to outline the area to be cut (kind of visible here):

20086918249_309cc4eb68_b.jpg

2. Cut the lines you made using a sharp utility knife. I secured the gauge to a block of 2x4 wood so I could screw down a scrap of metal I had to help cut the line straight. In this photo you can see I have started cutting the top line (had a mistake on the right, the blade slipped):

20081629168_ff4bc1a02e_b.jpg

Don’t worry if you slip like that, we’ll cover it up later (it will be less noticeable).

3. Repeat that process for all 4 cuts, then turn the gauge over and you should see faint lines sticking through. Cut along the backside on the same 4 lines you have marked. The point is to not go super hard with the cutting, and take multiple passes.

20083001129_8901ff4126_b.jpg

By the time you’re done you should have the knife blade popping through some spots. At that point you can probably push the metal cutout piece a bit to help force it out:

20279171611_f913cdc20e_b.jpg

5. Once you’ve got that metal piece pushed out, use a file to smooth the rough edges, then use a Sharpie (black) permanent marker over the light areas to make them black and hide any scratches:

20085140908_8cf9740c34_b.jpg

6. Now that you have the cutout, you need to make the PRNDL indicator fit in there. The holes on the indicator do not line up with the holes on the gauge.

So, use a drill bit to enlarge the holes on the gauge face. Then, use a smaller drill bit to make new holes on the bottom corners of the plastic pieces by the holes on the PRNDL indicator itself.

Use screws, washers, nuts, whatever you have around to secure the PRNDL indicator with space between it and the gauge face:

20085094660_48cd9b3415_b.jpg

20273114365_09feae0215_b.jpg

It’s hard to see the screws I used because they’re black, but you can see they are in the bottom right area of the plastic squares on the PRNDL thingy as you are looking at it from the back.

7. And here is the finished product.

20273105315_7d8388ce21_b.jpg

19650454854_327ddcbb78_b.jpg

Overall I think it turned out very well, definitely better than I expected. The gauge is installed slightly crooked in the plastic housing, I need to fix that yet.

Thanks to MJCARENA for the tip on using the utility knife to cut the gauge face.

I hope this helps other MJ owners with the column shift. If you have any questions just let me know. I like that this required minimal modifications and didn’t cost a thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...