Show me your 2.8l v6

so i have an 86 2.8 and on the driver side where the card air intake is on the header there is a big hole is there suppose to be a filter on there or something new to this motor and know nothing about it at all. pictures of others engines who still have them in would be great thanks

I think you're looking at the warm air line that usually runs from the header to the air intake.  used for channeling air off the headers at first startup.  or at least, where it's supposed to be.

I think most people are too ashamed to admit having a 2.8 let alone want to show it off. I do plan to build one in the future myself for my 86 longbed. It will probably be a 3.1 or a 3.4 though. Thats a ways down the road though. I want to build it for my daughter to drive when the time comes. I think I have 8 or 9 years to get it done at this point.

I think most people are too ashamed to admit having a 2.8 let alone want to show it off. I do plan to build one in the future myself for my 86 longbed. It will probably be a 3.1 or a 3.4 though. Thats a ways down the road though. I want to build it for my daughter to drive when the time comes. I think I have 8 or 9 years to get it done at this point.

i don't have the time or money to do an engine swap at the time and this one runs and only has 92k so i figure might as well keep it running good and use it till it dies, which means i need to learn as much about the thing as i can.

Its just a tube that runs from the opening on the manifold shield to the bottom of the air filter housing. Really not a big deal if it isn't there. Just plug the vacuum line to the actuator for the door that goes to it.

Like docivy said, don't sweat it, unless you live in Alaska...

I too have an 86 with the 2.8L that I bought dirt cheap, spun rod bearing made it knock. My plan was to build a 3.4 for it but came across a Camaro 2.8L for 50 bucks, couldn't pass it up, especially knowing it had been recently freshened up. Took me four days to do the engine transplant and am now extremely happy with the results, this thing purrs like a kitten, can't say it's ballsy but it takes me there and back and gives 25 MPGs. This is a bone stock, never-messed-with MJ that I plan to keep and slowly perform wheelin' upgrades on when finances allow, carry on...