pull A/C???

i just picked up a 90 cherokee laredo for 200 bucks...it runs but it needs a new starter its a 4.0 auto with 4 wheel drive it has A/C and power windows and power seats and cruise control...i will have to get some pics up today!!! i will part out some stuff if you need but i get first choice! there is also a chrome grille and headlight bezels that i am putting on mine :D but yeah i need to know if the A/C in it is compatible with my truck?

the a/c is compatible if your truck is a 4.0 of the same vintage...but if you don't have a/c right now you will need to pull the dash out of both trucks and swap the entire heater box/a/c box assembly, all the a/c hoses and condensor etc., and the a/c control

not a project for the faint of heart...and while you have it out you may as well replace the evaperator or whatever the thing in the a/c box is, and upgrade all fittings to do r134 as r12 is no longer available new.

I agree with JeepcoMJ, however you will not need to replace evap, I do however recomend that it be flushed as well as the rest of system, but if parts truck a/c is still closed and you CLEANly take it apart and plug holes and spill no oil you should be fine. I do think you should replace any o rings you take apart and even though this is a r 12 system they adapt to r 134a just fine, don't mess with changing oil or fill fittings. just use a r 134a side can tap will acme r 12 fitting and fill her up, I'v done this to many a/c systems and have never had any problems. That's my two cents

TRavis

i just picked up an 87 or 89 cherokee laredo for 200 bucks...it runs but it needs a new starter its a 4.0 auto with 4 wheel drive it has A/C and power windows and power seats and cruise control...i will have to get some pics up today!!! i will part out some stuff if you need but i get first choice! there is also a chrome grille and headlight bezels that i am putting on mine :D but yeah i need to know if the A/C in it is compatible with my truck?

Long bed or short?

A/C from an 87 or 89 is fully compatible with an 88. But I strongly recommend that you replace the evaporator. You have to pull the dashboard to install it. I happened to be at a radiator shop today, getting the second radiator in my '88 XJ diagnosed as DOA, and I saw FOUR Jeeps in the shop (three XJs and one WJ). Naturally I asked. They were ALL in for new evaporators. The guy showed me one of the ones that came out, and he showed me why they get eaten up and fail.

Pulling the dashboard is a thankless job. You do NOT want to do it twice. Get a new heater core and a new evaporator, put 'em both in, and be done with it.

Pulling the dashboard is a thankless job. You do NOT want to do it twice. Get a new heater core and a new evaporator, put 'em both in, and be done with it.

:agree:

I'm in the process of swapping a/c into mine. It just doesn't make since to not replace those things that may be a problem later.

Since I have everything apart already, it should be easy. :brows: