New Here, Hello all ! A Few Questions.....

erthmun

Hi all,

New to this forum. I just picked up an '89 Jeep Comanche in good shape. Unfortunately, not a 4wd like I wanted.... Has the 4.0 I6, in auto and the previous owner lifted it a little bit at some time. There's 30X9.50R15LT on stock alloys and no rubbing when turning.

Main question is, is the turning radius of this Comanche supposed to be a lot less than my JGC ? It just doesn't seem to be able to turn nearly as sharp as the GC.

Also, the previous owner stated a problem with the A/C unit. When turned on it always blows the fuse. Could this be the A/C clutch ? Would replacing the whole unit be better than just replacing the clutch ?

Lastly for now I guess, it has a bench seat. Has anyone changed over to buckets ? And if so, buckets and brackets from what vehicle ?

Thanks y'all, hope to be learning a lot here !

erthmun

PS, forgot to ask, where are y'all picking up most of your add-ons ? like front grill guards, driving/fog lights, etc... ?

The turning radias question is kinda easy to answer.... The MJ has a longer wheel base, so no it won't turn as easily if that is what you are talking about... they use the same steering box, so there should be no difference there.

I really don't know about the A/C thing.

The seat thing is not as easy as it seems. the bolt pattern for the mounts is different then the XJ, and the MJ's floor slopes up and as far as I know no one makes/sells brackets to bolt XJ seats into a MJ.

As for the accesories... Personally I try to make as much stuff as I can for my rig, Maybe someone else will chime in on this

For the seats you have to find a 2.5 Liter XJ they are like direct bolt on and they don't sit you as high if you did a little modifying like moving the brackets from the bench onto the donor XJ seats. Which I did and I kind of miss the bench but at least people will stop trying to cram in the front seat with ya and get some ace on ace action I hated that in high school.

For the A/C it could be a lot of things I would get a voltmeter and see what is going on in there.

Thanks for the feedback so far pingpong, JeepcoMJ, and 91mj97tj !

Guess I'll just try to get someone to restuff the original bench and reupholster it. Was thinking about a grill guard as the first add-on. Any recommendations on which would be best ? Not many places list a grill guard for just the Comanche. Seems like it's the forgotten pick up....

If I can figure out my friends digital camera, I'll try to get some pics of my new (to me) Jeep princess and post them on the forum to introduce her to some new friends.

Take care all, I work all weekends at night so I'll try to stay in touch, but I do appreciate your input.

erthmun

thanks for the offer wakka_round ! I'll keep them in mind if you're not looking to get rid of them ASAP. Was riding around in the MJ last night and noticed that the brakes weren't stopping as they should. No noise from them or anything, they just weren't stopping her. Think they may need a good bleeding, at worst a full brake job. Gonna have to check after I get off work tomorrow morning. bummer, may be my first major expense ......But, it's for a Jeep so what the heyyyyyy.

erthmun

erthmun, for grill/brush guard, i found that a unit from a nissan pathfinder or pick-up from the "hardbody" era bolted up nicely to stock bumper. i just had to move the headlight bars up about to inches from original spot to clear headlamps. got mine used form cust. for $50.00. sorry,no pictures yet.

mjcanoe

. Was riding around in the MJ last night and noticed that the brakes weren't stopping as they should. No noise from them or anything, they just weren't stopping her. Think they may need a good bleeding, at worst a full brake job.

erthmun

It's a generally accepted fact that XJ/MJ stock brake systems are inadequate (that's putting it nicely :D ). Larger than stock tires only make it worse. One thing to check is rear brake adjustment. The self-adjusters tend to not self-adjust very well......once you have the rears adjusted, bleed the entire system. That should help, some.

Jeff

What you need to know, is that from the back of the cab forward, your "truck" is a Cherokee. 100% Cherokee.

Anything and everything is interchangeable, bumpers, brush guards, you name it.

IMO, Buy a bumper, not a bolt on, you'll love yourself later for it.

And from that point back, it's a full framed "truck", with bushings and all, and back bumpers are a b!tch to find, so by then you'll want a welder and to start to learn how to fab!!

Good luck man, you're in now!

Thanks for the heads up on the less than adequate rear brakes y'all ! LOL I had never heard anything about that before. I may have been spoiled by my GC.... Guess my Memorial Day monday will be spent at the rear of my MJ (close to the grill though).

Also good to know that I can sub Cherokee parts when needed. I'm learning, slow but sure.......

OH, LOLOL my GF found her ex's digital camera. I may be able to get a few shots of the MJ and post them for y'all.

Almost 11 AM, time for bed and niters all, well, my night anyways...

erthmun