Pin striping goo!

So I removed the pinstripping off the truck today and now there's lines of goo in place of the stripes.

Would WD-40 work? Would it be safe to use on the paint? Any other solutions?

it will strip off any kind of wax that was on the paint. So after googone you need to put a few coats of wax on it to protect the paint.

I'd also recommend an "eraser wheel"

FOund at the local body shop. It's a rubber wheel, chuck it in the drill and it will take the stickers right off.

Hi all !

New to this forum, but not to Jeeps. I just picked up a '89 Comanche, repainted some time in its life in a slate gray (bad job) and was pinstriped with this Gawdawful fuscia (?) pinstipes. Spent 2 days using fingernails to pull and pick off only to have that described residue left on mine.

Not worrying about the condition of the paint, I used what we use at my friends pawn shop when getting sticker goo off items. Zippo lighter fluid. Works great and I think it's cheaper than Goo Gone.....

erthmun

i have a certified heat gun, not a hair dryer..it gets hotter and pulls up the decals better.

trick with the goo gone is to wipe once or twice with one rag, and then get a new rag...otherwise it leaves even more residue.

Body Shop guy turned me on to these two 3M products. 1st, 3M Wood Grian Panel / Decal Remover Aerosol Spray. 2nd, 3M Adhesive Remover. Comes in a Red and White Square can. If you follow instructions on the products, you can take off any decal or stripe while doing absolutely no damage to the paint. My problem was, the paint under the Sportruck Stripe was in factory condition, and the surronding paint was still 10 years old.

:roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up a thread from the dead, but I figured I should follow up.

I got my decal remover in the mail the other day and I've finished stripping the other side. This thing is basically a rubber wheel with an arbor on it to put it into a drill. You got to keep the drill on a slow speed and it helps to have an additional handle on it to keep it steady. Too fast of a speed and you'll burn the paint or go straight through to the primer.

That said, this thing is pretty awesome. Put it into the drill and it just wipes off the decals. Did all of my sportruck on the driver's side in about 1.5hrs. I know its no 20 minutes, but it took off the goo to, so all I needed to do was give it a quick spray and wipe. I'm really impressed with the thing and it was only 15 bucks. Plus you get to use a power tool...always a bonus. It leaves no marks whatsoever on the finish.

In comparison to the passenger side I did with just goo gone, the driver's side is much better. There is a touch of residue on the pass side, which I'm going to go over with the wheel when I get a chance.

Where did you get this remover? I am in need of one to get rid of my pioneer stripes. I would love to get one myself. Can you post your source please?

I bought mine from Monstronix.

Brand Name : SG Tool Aid

Model Number : SGT17900

Product Desc : Autobody Eraser Wheel with Arbor

Quantity : 1

Price/Unit : 12.2737

They tacked on a lot for shipping though, right at 20 bucks total. I never tried to source one locally.