Need quick advice on an axel swap.

I'm looking at getting a D44 to swap into the MJ. Here it is on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230130598502&rd=1&rd=1

Has anyone done this swap? I know I have to move the perches. My biggest concern is the brakes and e-brake. Any thoughts or opions. Where might I have trouble? :???:

no its deffinetly a d44 the chrysler 8.25 has a round diff cover just like the d35

sorry i didn't look at all the pics...it looked round to me. now i see the retarded diamond shape :D jamminz.gif

yea, you can put it in and the yoke should be the same too, so simply burn on new perches, get the right e-brake lines (or retrofit yours, or maybe dana 35 ones are the right ones?), new brakes and fluid, and you're all set.

get a good pinion angle set while you're at it...not too far down and not too far up. i don't do degrees...just eye them up. someone else can tell you degrees of the angle

no its deffinetly a d44 the chrysler 8.25 has a round diff cover just like the d35

sorry i didn't look at all the pics...it looked round to me. now i see the retarded diamond shape :D jamminz.gif

yea, you can put it in and the yoke should be the same too, so simply burn on new perches, get the right e-brake lines (or retrofit yours, or maybe dana 35 ones are the right ones?), new brakes and fluid, and you're all set.

get a good pinion angle set while you're at it...not too far down and not too far up. i don't do degrees...just eye them up. someone else can tell you degrees of the angle

The perches are already on. I would still check the pinion angle though.

Looks like a very good buy if it's as good as shape as seller claims, and you get disc brakes too jamminz.gif !

i think that's a chrysler 8.25

Worse. It isn't clear from the ad if the brakes are from a 2000 WJ or the entire axle. If it's the entire axle, it has a very weak aluminum housing and none of the internals interchange with a standard iron D44.

Also, he says it is set up for an XJ, which means the perches are not spaced correctly for an MJ.

I would not bid without verifying what vehicle the axle itself came out of.

Thats not a CtyCo 8.25 and its not the D44 you really want either...... Its from a Jeep ZJ/WJ w/V8 as Eagle mentioned, 3:73 is a common ratio for them. Its non propratiory D44. VERY limited selection of traction devices as well asgearing, becides having a weak housing.

Someone has removed coil brackets and installed the leaf perches so it fits a XJ.

If you where asking my advice, I would say keep looking you don't want this axle.

Here is the one under my Wifes WJ, You can see the shape in the last pic. (I have fixed the leaks since this pic was taken)

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The other problem is that the WJ doesn't use a 5 on 4-1/2" lug bolt spacing -- the WJs were 5 on 5". Whether this is a complete WJ axle or just the WJ brakes retrofitted to an XJ (or brand X) D44, the lug pattern won't work with your MJ rims and won't match your front hubs.

I agree with CJ -- keep looking.

If it's the entire axle, it has a very weak aluminum housing and none of the internals interchange with a standard iron D44.
Someone has removed coil brackets and installed the leaf perches so it fits a XJ.

I am no way going against what either of you two are saying, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a GC axle, but only the brakes. Welding spring perches on an aluminum housing is tricky.

If it is the aluminum 44, take that into mind if you plan on welding your own spring perches on.

Based on what I read in the guys ad and what this axle is, I'll bet you a case of your favorite beer this was origionally in a WJ GC.

BTW, just the center "chunk" is an aluminimum alloy not the axle tubes. ;)

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: will it fit my 1996 grand cherokee ZJ. ALSO LOOKING TRANS 5.2 awd ?????? May-18-07

A: it is the right size and probably the right gear ratio, but the original mounting brackets (coil buckets and control arm mounts) have been cut off and...more

Ask seller a question

CW

Dang I love this place. :bowdown: Without it I would probably waste alot of time and money on things that I wouldn't be satisfied with. I was real close to bidding and decided to check back here first. I'm going to take the "keep looking" advice. It seems like finding a D44 is like a snipe hunt. Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Its all good!!

I am glad I (we) could be of assistiance!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

No opologies, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask!! Something else I like... You don't know until you know. ;) :D :cheers:

CW

... You don't know until you know.

Heavy, man, really heavy. Like in, wow, that's deep.

Is that sort of like, "It ain't over 'til it's over"?

Just joshin' you, CW. :cheers:

Out of idle curiosity, what's the going price on real XJ and MJ Dana 44 axles these days?