2000 to 2001 cherokee Pre cat heat soak issues

sinkrun

Looking for some one who has had to deal with the hoat soak issues on the 00-01 Cherokee sports. I know it comes from the pre cats anyone willing to talk about how the "fixed" the pre cat issue. PM or email is fine if you don't want to post here.

On my 00 I have the shield and have wrapped just the injector and still have it bad. Then I went to hood vents and new injectors did help but still have it some.  I just bought a 01 with 85,000 miles with a badly cooked engine the head was cracked the cylinder wall had aluminum melted to it.  A older guy owned it and drove way to long overheated. Its for the wife and I want to try to rid the heat soak for good. I thought about taking the pre cats out thought it would run cooler. While its out I will wrap the whole header and order the new recall parts.

Will clogged cats ad to this problem?

Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:INJECTORS
Recall Date APR 08, 2002
Model Affected CHEROKEE
Potential Units Affected 1115322

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE ONLY, THE DESIGN OF THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MANIFOLDS COULD ALLOW DEBRIS TO ACCUMULATE AT THE #3 CYLINDER LOCATION.

Consequence
THIS COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A MANIFOLD SHIELD TO MODIFY THE AIR FLOW CHARACTERISTICS AND TO PREVENT THE ACCUMULATION OF DEBRIS IN THE AREA OF THE #3 CYLINDER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 13, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION B06
Quote:
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retreival system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02,
DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM
YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS
HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF)or higher.
This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content.

Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.
This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3.

The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description

1 56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves
about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the
injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o’clock position (from driver’s side of vehicle).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE: 0.2hrs

FAILURE CODE:
AM Authorized Modification

The "cure" is an intake manifold heat shield and a wrap around the affected injector, usually #3. The part number is highlighted in RED above is the injector wrap.  The debris shield mentioned above is part number is CBXCB060, and pictured below. I put one on when I installed my 2001 intake manifold. Both are like $2-$3 at the dealer.