Running a Bit Warm - Exhaust Problem? 2.5

Been having a strange, intermittent issue for the past month or two. Truck was running at it's normal temp (around 195 at highway speeds, around 210 at idle during stop light traffic) but slowly started to climb in temperature rating. Now it runs a consistent 210 at highway speeds and about 225(ish) at idle. Doesn't ever get near the safe-operating limit of the gauge, so there's at least that to be thankful for. 

I was wondering because another guy in my class was sitting around chatting to me about the last time I had my exhaust changed out (while I was explaining my issues; he also has owned several older Jeeps in the past), while I was running a few undercarriage inspections on some of the wiring and such. Truck's still running OE everything, save for the muffler and tail-pipe. I've been needing a new manifold gasket put on to alleviate my exhaust stumble it sometimes has, and my CAT has been pretty much FUBAR since I bought the thing 4 years ago. My muffler seems to be clogged, because it has a solid "thump" sound when you knock against it instead of the echo sound that new ones have.

Had a new water pump put in about 6 months ago, just changed out the OE fan clutch for a fresh one about a month ago. Seemed to solve my problems for a few days but the temp climbed back up. Thermostat is good, but I have another to swap in when (and if) it needs it. Am currently also in the process of piecing together a stock exhaust system, coincidentally before all this started happening. 

I know this probably sounds noob-ish, but if the truck can't "breathe", then it has to run hotter to try and alleviate the problems, right? Am I on the right track here in thinking that my exhaust needs refreshing or is there another culprit to blame?

In my experience a clogged exhaust causes serious power problems not temp problems.

Odd; I was always aware of the power problems, but mine's not suffering from anything of the sort.  :dunno:

I would not assume your thermostat is good.

Thermostat was changed out about a year ago. Might change it out to see if it changes anything, but if it were failing, it wouldnt be running within SOT.

Maybe you have a vacuum leak causing a lean condition and this higher temp.

Did a heater core swap a few months ago and fixed a lot of vaccuum lines that were crumbly. Also fixed a bunch of AMCs lousy connections behind the dash and in the engine bay. Not too sure about the chances of a leak; aside from the one from the manifold, there aren't any other symptoms it's showing. :dunno:

I would not assume your thermostat is good.

Thermostat was changed out about a year ago. Might change it out to see if it changes anything, but if it were failing, it wouldnt be running within SOT.

It may not be completely stuck closed. I think you are going to find a cooling issue not an exhaust problem.