Used engine Prices?

johnj92131

• 6 years later...
Just now, Poskal said:

I see it`s 2014 topic, but i`m interested in prices right now. Maybe someone knows sellers who has 4.0 engine. In the internet i found the only website who says sell used car engines https://orbimotors.com/used-car-engines/ but i didn`t find Jeep engines..

car-part.com is a junkyard search engine :L: 

I can find used engines from private sellers for $250-$300 on Craigslist or Marketplace on a regular basis. I would probably plan on rebuilding something like that before I installed it, I would bet you could do a simple refresh for less than $1000, including the core. Obviously, if you have to get into machine work, it will go up.

I see local shop rebuilds for $1300 - $1450, so pretty cheap labor.

I personally wouldn’t rebuild a 4.0.

I have had 3 engines with over 300k on them with one having 450k having never been opened. Went to the junkyard still running in a really rotten chassis. Have had several over 200k.

If you can hear the engine run and it is quiet with no smoke or signs of water in it there is no reason that engine can’t go another 100k easy.

The biggest source of 4.0 engine failure from what I have seen is water pump changes. People not knowing how to get the air out of the engine then they overheat and blow the gasket. Common to see ads for jeeps with new water pump and radiator with blown head gasket.