Cig Lighter Install

My project MJ did not come equipped with a cig lighter, my parts MJ did. Figured this one would be easy enough for the afternoon, I was part right.

Taking the cig lighter out of the parts truck I saw an orange/black wire going to a clip connector that wasnt installed. I moved it over to the project truck and didn't install this connector. What does it do? I think it might light up that bluish ring around the cig lighter at night, but I wasn't sure where to connect it so I left it off.

The cig lighter is only suppose to be hot when the ignition is keyed, correct?

The dash is still in piece thanks to the PO's horrendous stereo install, so this can be a quick fix if I do need to clip it to something.

Thanks,

Sean

it only works when ignition is on, and that wire doesn't do anything...it may be for the bluish ring.

use a test light or voltmeter to find out if it has power...if it does, and you have a light, there you go.

but there's a power wire that goes to the back of the cig lighter (round connector) and a ground wire that clips to the side.

it only works when ignition is on, and that wire doesn't do anything...it may be for the bluish ring.

use a test light or voltmeter to find out if it has power...if it does, and you have a light, there you go.

but there's a power wire that goes to the back of the cig lighter (round connector) and a ground wire that clips to the side.

good suggestion ...

with a test light that orange and black wire is hot when the key is on and you turn your lights on then turn the light switch far enough to the left to illuminate the dash. I'm guessing a light bulb plugs into it or something. Out of stupidity i touched it to the cig lighter to see if the bluish rign would light up. Instead I blew a fuse. It blew the 5amp INST LPS fuse.

So I got no clue where to clip it or what it does.

I have that same wire just hanging around behind my cig lighter outlet. I just taped it up with electrical tape and called it good.

I also tapped into the ground and a constant hot and ran a second power outlet, comes is handy.

I have that same wire just hanging around behind my cig lighter outlet. I just taped it up with electrical tape and called it good.

I also tapped into the ground and a constant hot and ran a second power outlet, comes is handy.

I think that wire might just be left as is, not like it really matters.

very cool addition, I was thinking that would be a good addition to charge cell phones and what not. This one was free hence doing it. Maybe I'll get around to that aswell.

Taking the cig lighter out of the parts truck I saw an orange/black wire going to a clip connector that wasnt installed. I moved it over to the project truck and didn't install this connector. What does it do? I think it might light up that bluish ring around the cig lighter at night, but I wasn't sure where to connect it so I left it off.

That's exactly what it does. The ORN/BLK wire is part of the dash illumination circuit. The connector attaches to a bulb socket which attaches to the lighter housing. The bulb illuminates the outer green transparent ring around the lighter socket.

That's exactly what it does. The ORN/BLK wire is part of the dash illumination circuit. The connector attaches to a bulb socket which attaches to the lighter housing. The bulb illuminates the outer green transparent ring around the lighter socket.

Ok but, since its only one wire, where does it ground to? anybody got a hooked up working one that can grab a photo?

i don't have a pic but IIRC the light bulb is held onto the cig lighter by a metal clip that provides a ground to the same wire as the cig lighter itself.

X2. Exactly. I have to go into my dash soon; will snap a pic when I get there.

i would personally just have it hot all the time. i like being able to charge my phone all the time when the car is off.

Remember, our rigs are 15+ years old. There were no vehicle OEM "power outlets" then to charge the few cell phones. And everyone smoked too, so the lighter was useful. Easy to make the receptacle always hot though - just isolate the circuit first.

In a sheer attempt at pure automotive electrical genious, that same wire is now powering my $25 Kmart head unit in the dash, and I have a blankout plate where the lighter used to be :D

(I cut the power wire for the radio too short once inside the dash and lost it somewhere :D ) It works good, for the most part, but I have to turn the heater on to listen to anything on AM, or else there's too much engine interference.......

I plan on fixing it, someday.

Jeff

In a sheer attempt at pure automotive electrical genious, that same wire is now powering my $25 Kmart head unit in the dash, and I have a blankout plate where the lighter used to be :D

funny, the PO of mine did the same thing. I cursed his name when I saw it. The stereo was a 100% hack job. all wires were spun together and covered in tape. He hooked switched and unswitched 12v to the cig light. Didn't hook up the rear speakers either. Pretty awesome.

the illumination socket grounds through the cigarrette socket itself. SO just hook that org/blk wire into the dash light circuit and it will light up.

This makes sense, but I guess mine is missing a needed socket or connector, because there is no light bulb on mine or anything. Maybe the parts MJ has it, I'll have to look.

In a sheer attempt at pure automotive electrical genious, that same wire is now powering my $25 Kmart head unit in the dash, and I have a blankout plate where the lighter used to be

I'm using both the lighter 12V switched and dash illumination circuit wires (+ ground) for the Benz LCD ambient temp display module that I built into my clock. Came in real handy................ :chillin:

finished3.jpg