Pulling an 8.8

I am going to pull an 8.8 (off an explorer w/disks) soon, are there any tools that I might need that I wouldnt normally think of?

Also, should I use a combo of my MJ's leafs and the explorer's? I have a broken leaf on the drivers side (second leaf down from the top). I figure this would be easiest since I could just pull the axle with the leafs still attached.

Thanks!

you can do that combo...not sure which leafs.

and I'd say torch it out...cut the brake lines with a bolt cutter, cut the front ebrake cable off (or scrap them to retrofit the mj ones to it) and cut the bracket off, torch the bolts out and drop it with leafs intact.

or cut the main spring as you won't be using that...

but if the jy has got a torch for you to use, i'd say that's the best idea

yeah, yards in MA suck. they want $408479414 for a leaf spring and make you go get it.

there was this hitch off a 2000 XJ that was really rusty. i spent 90 mins fighting with it and got 2 bolts out. i inquired about the price to see if it was worth getting....$75 for that pos.

Mitch, did you get my PM on NEJ about the tuesday?...i think the PMs might be having some troubles.

A really long breaker bar.

You should be able to throw in an Exploder leaf instead of your second leaf, but (using the data my mind has acquired from Pete's experiment)expect a lil loss in ride height. Perhaps 2 exploder leafs per pack would make up for this, but with that, I would expect a stiffer ride.

My junkyard doesn't allow torches, body saws, oils, compressed air (pfft), generators (double pfft), etc in.

Cordless sawzalls are okay. But I don't own one, only a hack saw.

So it can take a while to pull an axle. But 8.8s are easy enough, just cut the u-bolts, cut the brake line to the frame, cut the sway bar, cut the VSS wire and cut the driveshaft. Then pull the heavy POS out from under there and load it into the cart by yourself. Be sure to squich at least one finger in the process.

Okay, that's not so easy.

I hadnt planned on cutting anything.... this is going to suck.

And twistoooo's PM's are working I just havent decided what I am going to do yet, so I don't know what to tell you. don't plan on it I guess, unless a miracle happens.

I am going to elias tomorrow morning to talk to them and buy some stuff.

And twistoooo's PM's are working I just havent decided what I am going to do yet, so I don't know what to tell you. don't plan on it I guess, unless a miracle happens.

Lou is a very good friend of mine!! Tell him CW @ Jonfund says HI!!

Watch out for luna!! She can be a fierce one!!

BTW,

we need to talk, I have those shocks off if you still need them. If no thats fine too others have inquired about them.

CW

Mitch, what time are you going?

If you're going to be there around noon (thats when I get home)...PM me, and if you want, you can stop by (I'll drive there then you can follow me back) and see how I did my SOA. I'm not even 7 minutes from Elias.

EDIT: You're probobly going Monday morning, not Tuesday...I'll be in class.

My junkyard doesn't allow torches, body saws, oils, compressed air (pfft), generators (double pfft), etc in.

:P my junkyard will let me do whatever the @#*$ i want. the owner is a family friend.

sadly, i've got maybe another month and a half of this jy...he's selling it cause he's sick of the fact that the DNR is on their backs (they ARE doing a public service...if they weren't here we would have junk cars everywhere...who cares about a little bit of contained contamination as long as he at least TRIES not to contaminate the soil)

so...i'm gonna blow a grand there on parts in the next month or two (yay credit card...he accepts them through paypal!!!!!!) and just load up on all the parts i could possibly need from him

back to the 8.8

breaker bar will be more than enough. remember you need to take the driveshaft off, and ya might as well take the whole spring packs as well. bring some nice tin snips or bolt cutters and cut the break lines...you will have to cut what you aren't using.

I'm not sure if all explorers are like this but make sure you have a set of 12pt sockets to remove the d-shaft from the pinion flange

They all are. It's a high-tolerance metric 12.9 bolt of some crazy sizing/pitch. And often the factory applied a coating of red threadlocker - making them damn hard to remove.

Hence I just hacksaw everything.

are those cordless sawzalls any good?

the 18v ones are amazing.

My cousin works for the company that bought milwaukee, and he designed the orbital mechanism they call "the hatchet"

he tells me the new lithium ones are insanely cool, but he hasn't hooked me up with one yet.

Unless the U-bolts are badly rusted... I would try to save them so you can use them for mock up. I personally bring my CO2 tank and an impact when pulling stuff from the j-yard. Bring a set of 12 point sockets just in case you can't cut the driveshaft

Alright, I will admit that I am an idiot and shouldnt be pulling an axle.

That said... I don't have 12pt sockets... should I run down to Sears and grab a 1/2" socket set? I don't have any 1/2 ratchets or sockets. Do they sell them in 12pt?

Is a sears 18 volt sawzall going to work? I have sears 18 volt cordless drill and flashlight, want to keep it the same for the batteries... but I know of miluakee cordless drills that are 14.4 volt and WAY out perform my sears. This is why I ask the question...

And were do you cut a driveshaft at?

sears will work ok. Just don't expect it to last as long, but it will get the job done. take extra blades in case you bend one. Be careful if you cut the u bolts, they snap rather violently.

yes, you need to get some 1/2" drive sockets, and a largish breaker bar. My junkyarding breaker bar is 48" long, and I carry another piece of pipe to put over the handle to mnake it 72" long, but I'm a wee little guy that needs a lot of leverage to break a bolt head off.

breaker bar will be 1/2" drive.

cut the driveshaft on the tube, a bit away from the flange, as they flange piece goes into the tube a bit.

Since it sounds like your tool selection is limited, and money is always a factor.... go with a sawzall, and plenty (10 ) or more blades and have at it. Much easier to cut off then buy what you need to make it work when you get home :brows:

my jy guy either loans me his portable torch, 18v sawzall (with HIS blades mind you), or just picks the truck up and moves it on over to the big oxy/aced. torch he's packing.

which reminds me. guys, i get my 8.8s (yes, plural) from him on saturday.

$100 for the two of them. one has 3.55 gears, lsd, and full discs, the other has 3.73 gears and full discs. problem is that the one with 3.73's is out of a rollover...so we don't know if it's straight or not.

in the case that it's not straight, the 3.73's will eventually go in the one with 3.55's. the one with 3.55's is going in my comanche right away...it matches my current ratio and gives me better traction and rear end to cope with my driving and the 3800.

i'm picking up a np231 from a disco-equipped xj too. my np207 is shot (chain broke, only rwd and lotsa clunking) and tho i have 2 more np207's, i just can't see staying with a piece of crap.