Renix intake and exhaust manifold removal...how to?

like the title says.

87 comanche sport truck...4.0 renix system.

rear two cylinder to downpipe tubes are cracked where they meet the downpipe on the manifold. i need to weld it up...and i got the gasket (intake and exhaust combined?....wierd) and obviously i've never worked on a system like this before...what's the best way to do it?

I've deduced i need to remove the throttle body connections, the airbox and intake tube, the vacuum tubes, and probably the shield on top of the manifold. i don't want to break any studs and i want to do this as fast as possible...this thing is quickly taking more time out of my days and all I want to do is sell it...it's making my $1500 sale price look low and i don't want to be unreasonable.

Remove the fuel rail, replace o-rings. Later models you can leave the fuel lines intact, don't think I had enough room to do it on the renix. Soak the studs overnight if your worried about breaking them, I never did. The studs on the pipe are another matter, expect problems with those. The other problem with the renix is the EGR crossover tube its a pain to get around, and I bought 1 manifold that was casted poorly and I had to make some bends in it to re-install, but you won't have that problem if you just welding.

Remove the power steering pump, disconnect the fuel rail fittings that go to the line... go to the dealer and buy the replacement o-rings for it as well. I think if you un-blt the fuel rail you can remove the heat sheild IIRC. remove the air box, and windshield washer resivior. This will give you enough room to get to the back bolts with an extension and swivel. The EGR downtube can be a PITA, but once you get it started.. you are good.

I think i'm gonna halfass it and just pull the airbox off, then disconnect the motor mount, lift the engine with a jack, and lean down in there and weld the sucker...it will be easier. I welded the back while the tranny was out, now it's just the front part.

I have done this. On a Cherokee. It was a major project. Lucky for me, it was a Jeep to replace another Jeep, so time was not an issue. I need to do this again on my Comanche.

I am not looking forward to doing it. Good luck with yours.

I welded mine and it cracked again within a year right beside the weld bead. I now have a Thorley header havent had a prob in years.

yep, but the truck ain't mine anymore, so i couldn't care less if it breaks in a year...