School Me On The Overhead Console Swap

Here comes one of my weird thoughts again... :shake:

There's a little bit of information from a few years back on swapping an XJ overhead console into an MJ, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything recently and if anyone could explain what this swap entails. I know I could use the storage, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to get it wired up so it works like it belongs there, since I very, very strongly doubt that any of its wiring exists in the MJ. As always, I welcome all thoughts and opinions.

Don't know about the wiring... I used a complete wiring harness from an XJ Laredo when I did my engine swap, so I already had the wiring available for the OHC.  I don't imagine it would be too hard to wire up if you're only wanting the lights to work.  Here's how mine turned out:  (I will eventually wrap it for a factory look)

Factory mounting brackets used.  Just cut holes in the headliner where needed.

It looks good. If at all possible I would like to wire up the other functions too. I've seen one video where the OHC in the guy's 90 (I think) XJ had an MPG readout. Accurate or not that might be fun to have. Thanks for showing me that, though.

I have a factory one in a 1998 XJ sport and I just sold one out of a 98 XJ......on the compatible year XJ's the plug-ins for the harness are in the passenger side kick panel.

I would assume that if you would want the trip computer and gas milage features to work you would need to have the corresponding computer running the functions of your MJ. The temp sensor would be needed as well.

To be honest having one aside from the individual dome lights and the nifty sunglasses holder I rarely use the display for anything but a compass/thermometer.

The thing that I alway thought humorous is that one of the features is a trip clock (time how long you are traveling)....so it has the capabilities to display time......BUT IT CANNOT BE SET UP AS A SIMPLE CLOCK.....you have to rely on your stereo for that.. :hmm: