Addendum To Cruzer54's C101 Elimination (Deletes Connectors But Retains Connector Housing For Orginal Look)

The C101 connector (see Photo 5) was discountined in 1990 due to resitance issues. After 25 years it just gets worse. In tip # 27 of Cruzer54's 25+ Renix tips (click here http://comancheclub.com/topic/36382-cruisers-renix-tips/) He describes how to delete the c101. When done it works great but looks like a 90+ model. I'm trying really hard to maintain as much orginal about my 88 Comanche. I figured out how to delete the connectors but retain the housing for orginal look. I wish I'd taken better photos. Will you please let me know if my instructions need improvements?

Before you begin please read Cruzer54's instructions, see tip # 27 on http://comancheclub.com/topic/36382-cruisers-renix-tips

Start by carefully taking apart the C101 connector (I broke the wire ties. you don't want to). See Photo 1. Note that the Male side connector banks are in two seperate housings and the passenger side fits inside of a yolk on the Drivers side housing. it's easier throughout to keep them seperate.

Then, Remove the white comb from each of the 4 bank of connectors. The comb is almost all the way out in photo 2. 

Now, Where Cruzer54 tells you to cut the wires one by one and solder, Instead push the female connector out, cut the connector off, cut the male side wire, then solder as per Cruzers instructions. Photo 3 show a jig I built to help with the soldering. You can see the first 3 wires I soldered coming through the female side of the connector. be sure you aren't crossing wires. Keep them neat. Once all 22 wires are soldered I pushed the shrink tube a little bit into the female housing then re-install the white combs. This helped hold them in place.

Now I prepped the male side connectors. Start by removing all the male connector out of the housing. Then cut all of the plastic out of the interior of male side housing. I used an old soldering iron to melt away the plastic, it was messy and I worried I was going to ruin the housing. Afterwords I thought a coping saw or fine band saw would have worked better. Once the interior was hollowed out I cut through resulting tube with an exacto blade then "wrapped" the connector  around the wires.

Photo 4 shows the Drivers side male housing with the wires in place on the left. On the right I'm holding the passenger side male housing. It's hard to see, but, on the right center of the housing you can see a mark. that's where I cut through it so I could wrap it around the wires. Next put it all back together again and re-install on the firewall.

Photo 5 shows it back in place. Note I broke the wire ties. I'm planning on pulling a connector from a Cherokee and replace them.

BTW - be sure to do Cruzer54'sTip #6 Sensor Ground upgrade. it's easy and worth the time.

Nice work! The hardest part looks like it is getting the male side of the connector hollowed out. That's the only part I'm a bit unclear on, but only because I haven't looked at it closely. I did clean my C101 recently and it helped my high idle on startup, so I'm definitely going to consider your route before chopping the whole thing out. I like that it looks factory but is improved.

Good point. Here's a photo where I pulled apart the harness so you can see where I soldered the the six ground wires together. I pulled a black shrink tube over one side leaving Just the bare end of the wire exposed then shrunk it tight. I then pulled another black shrink tube over that and let it sit. I then pulled a slightly smaller yellow shrink tube over the other side of the wires. Then soldered the all the wires together. Then shrunk the yellow tube over the exposed ends. Then pulled the last black tube about a 1/2" over the first black tube and shrunk it down leaving a finished look. I had a big box of assorted shrink tubes from Radio Shack so I went a little crazy.

• 1 year later...

The C101 connector (see Photo 5) was discountined in 1990 due to resitance issues. After 25 years it just gets worse. In tip # 27 of Cruzer54's 25+ Renix tips (click here http://comancheclub.com/topic/36382-cruisers-renix-tips/) He describes how to delete the c101. When done it works great but looks like a 90+ model. I'm trying really hard to maintain as much orginal about my 88 Comanche. I figured out how to delete the connectors but retain the housing for orginal look. I wish I'd taken better photos. Will you please let me know if my instructions need improvements?

Before you begin please read Cruzer54's instructions, see tip # 27 on http://comancheclub.com/topic/36382-cruisers-renix-tips

Start by carefully taking apart the C101 connector (I broke the wire ties. you don't want to). See Photo 1. Note that the Male side connector banks are in two seperate housings and the passenger side fits inside of a yolk on the Drivers side housing. it's easier throughout to keep them seperate.

Then, Remove the white comb from each of the 4 bank of connectors. The comb is almost all the way out in photo 2. 

Now, Where Cruzer54 tells you to cut the wires one by one and solder, Instead push the female connector out, cut the connector off, cut the male side wire, then solder as per Cruzers instructions. Photo 3 show a jig I built to help with the soldering. You can see the first 3 wires I soldered coming through the female side of the connector. be sure you aren't crossing wires. Keep them neat. Once all 22 wires are soldered I pushed the shrink tube a little bit into the female housing then re-install the white combs. This helped hold them in place.

Now I prepped the male side connectors. Start by removing all the male connector out of the housing. Then cut all of the plastic out of the interior of male side housing. I used an old soldering iron to melt away the plastic, it was messy and I worried I was going to ruin the housing. Afterwords I thought a coping saw or fine band saw would have worked better. Once the interior was hollowed out I cut through resulting tube with an exacto blade then "wrapped" the connector  around the wires.

Photo 4 shows the Drivers side male housing with the wires in place on the left. On the right I'm holding the passenger side male housing. It's hard to see, but, on the right center of the housing you can see a mark. that's where I cut through it so I could wrap it around the wires. Next put it all back together again and re-install on the firewall.

Photo 5 shows it back in place. Note I broke the wire ties. I'm planning on pulling a connector from a Cherokee and replace them.

BTW - be sure to do Cruzer54'sTip #6 Sensor Ground upgrade. it's easy and worth the time.

this is a very amazing step by step but the main question i have is what did you use to hollow out the connector so you could still bolt it back together thank you

• 6 years later...