Rear Spring Help Please

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

My axle has shifted to the driver's side.

I'm thinking that my bushings are worn out, or could there be another cause?

The truck has never been wrecked or otherwise damaged.

I'm considering ordering new springs from General, that would solve my bushing problem, but what about the shackles? Also, the shipping from General is $80, is that to be expected?

Have any of you had any luck with bushing replacement?

Any direction on the shackles?

Thanks

Also,

A couple of months ago I swapped out the spring plates for the S10s. I noticed that the perches did not sit flat against the springs, one sat forward and one sat rearward. I assume that one of the axle tubes may have spun a bit in the housing...? Or could the spring arches have become deformed?

Could that cause or have exacerbated the shift of the axle housing?

I went with new General MT springs years ago as my originals were pretty sagged out. And I wanted a little lift in the rear end.

Below is a pic of my truck when I first bought it. The axle was centered left-to-right, but was too far forward; no idea why. The new springs brought the axle back and centered in the wheel wells. 

I went with new General MT springs years ago as my originals were pretty sagged out. And I wanted a little lift in the rear end.

Below is a pic of my truck when I first bought it. The axle was centered left-to-right, but was too far forward; no idea why. The new springs brought the axle back and centered in the wheel wells. 

I would try some new bushings first. That is, if you're happy with the ride and height of your current springs.

Moog bushings will run me about $110 at Advance for all four or I can get new springs with bushings for $350 shipped and know that all is new. I'll go with new.

Hornbrod, are you happy with the quality of General spring?

Has anyone here gone with the military wrap? Does it really make a difference?

Thanks

The springs I ordered were the 3+2 MT springs w/o the military wrap - was not an option at that time. When the springs arrived, one was a NOS Mopar spring they mistakenly sent. This was their original model. Before shipping it back, I compared the two and they were identical in all ways; free arch, bushings, leaf design, clamps, etc.

This was seven years ago, and they settled about 1/2" total. I was (and am) very satisfied with them. Can't speak for their non-MT MJ springs though. Hell Creek is also a good option for springs.

Even the stock no-lift springs from General will give some lift depending on the condition of your existing springs. In a perfect world, they will restore your rig to factory specs, as in the link below. Since my original springs were a bit sagged, the MT springs gave me almost 3", but did settle down 1/2" in about a year. I compensated with new 2" OME coils up front, and it worked out well. I'm sure you know, but be prepared for some lift in the rear end if you still have the original rear factory leafs.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/11098-how-to-measure-ride-hight/

After giving is some thought, I decided to replace the bushings. I was concerned about the 2"+ of hight that might be gained by new springs, I just bought new Bilstiens and did not what to lose any stroke on the rears, they are a little on the short side.

Wow!!!!!!!! just Wow!

The most significant improvement I've made yet.

After installing the rear sway bar and Bilstiens the suspension and handling improved yet not quite right. I had no idea that that bad bushings and shackles could have such a negative effect.

Sway bar and shock have now come to life, axle is centered and not one bit of slosh in the steering.

I went with NAPA Suspension parts, $91 with tax, and the JKS shackles are the $#!&.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found