Had A Bit Of Ice Fun Today

Spectormj

HEY! I went to the same spot right after work, approximately 9:30pm. You didnt even get into the good stuff, that ditch is gnarly and there is another spot over there by the tractor tailer that was reeeal nice. I thought about going through that culvert area, but decided against it, i probably would have gotten stuck and i don't think the campus police would have appreciated having to pull me out.  :D

that brought back memories from back in '96 when a buddy of mine were out ice fishing and he did the ice break-through thing but on a lake in his Cherokee.  We didn't go through, rather it was a big pressure crack on Lake Mille lacs that opened up in the night.  An old Dodge PU was on the other side with four flats.  The Cherokee made it without issue.

that brought back memories from back in '96 when a buddy of mine were out ice fishing and he did the ice break-through thing but on a lake in his Cherokee.  We didn't go through, rather it was a big pressure crack on Lake Mille lacs that opened up in the night.  An old Dodge PU was on the other side with four flats.  The Cherokee made it without issue.

How in hell did he manage that i wonder.  :???:

How in hell did he manage that i wonder.  :???:

I remember it being really cold...the crack opened up and open water was refreezing into jagged, sharp ridges.  If he made a run for it most likely that ice punctured the tires?  We took it easy at first but since it was dark and didn't know how deep the water was, floored it.  Made it through.  Maybe our line was better chosen?  I remember bouncing in the back like on a bucking bronco.  We all breathed a sigh of relief that's for sure.

If the far side of the crack was higher than the near side, or the gap was enough that the truck fell noticeably before hitting the far side, it would have been just like hitting a curb. It could easily have been enough pressure to burst the tires or if he didn't hit straight on, break the bead.