Speedometer Cable

Cool thanks. I did away with all the vacuum stuff for cruise control since it was missing components and I'm never on the highway enough to need it, figured I'd switch to the one piece cable since I have to replace it anyway

• 1 year later...

I have an 88 MJ 4WD drive non-cruise cable I bought for my 2WD 88MJ. The guy didn't have a 2WD cable. I found a 2WD XJ cable at the JY and put it in the 88 before I sold it.

It is a Jeep/Mopar NOS part still in the box and has the plastic clip on the speedo end and the threaded cap on the tranny end. I'll measure it and send you the P.N. tomorrow. You can have it for what I paid for it plus shipping (I'll have to find the receipt).

Went to the garage and pulled it out of the box. Mopar P.N. 04897729AA. Measures about 76"end to end.

Maybe someone on here can check the OEM P.N. and tell us if this is the correct P.N. or not. If not, I'm curious what it fits.

My parts manual only has 87 as the earliest year.  For 87, there were two types of speedos used, with different part nos. for each (of course). 

These part nos. are for both the 4.0 and 2.5 2wd.

The first one listed as "A", describes the screws on the face of the cluster being slotted screws - #5300-1990.

The second one listed as "B", describes the screws as phillips head - #56300-4592.  This is used for 88 and 89.

I don't know if this helps or not.  The OP said he has an 86 2.8.

The screw types on the face of the speedometer indicate the type of clip on the end of the cable where it plugs into the back of the gauge.....there are two styles.  Earlier style has a metal sleeve that is held by a small metal "tang" on the back of the cluster, later style has a plastic end that you squeeze to remove from the end of  the speedo.