gauge cluster swap gone wrong

my 88 comanche pioneer had the idiot lights and fuel gauge for the blind. i have a cluster from an 89 cherokee limited with the tac and gauges. today i swapped the clusters.

once everything was hooked up i no longer had a working fuel gauge it did work when it was in the donor vehicle. then i hit the right turn signal good so far, now for the left turn signal. . . on comes my right blinker my left blinker and the light on the floor by the t case shift lever

help me please!!!

flip the wires that go into it over. i don't think it's possible to put them upside down but perhaps you have.

furthermore, what engine option is in your truck, and what option was in the truck the gauges came out of? generally, it's best to attempt to swap out items from similarly equipped vehicles.

but it's a wiring issue OR the "circuit board" on the back of your gauge cluster could have shorts in it.

oh! is the new cluster out of a high output unit? or is your truck a HO and the cluster out of a regular 4.0? Jeep reversed sensor polarity or something like that in 1991.

that light is connected to your light switch. when you turn on your lights, that light comes on and your gauge cluster lights come on.

to check for shorts, about the best you can do is look at the back of the gauge cluster and see if anything looks corroded. check your connector for corrosion AND see if it's plugged in all the way. also see if your gauge lights come on when you turn your running lights on.

if they don't, then you have a wiring gremlin. put your old cluster back in and see if everything works then. if it does, then you need a different full gauge cluster as that one is dysfunctional.

If your truck is really an '88 Pioneer and it had idiot lights, a previous owner has swapped out the gauge cluster because the Pioneer came with full gauges (except that tachometer was optional). If a previous owner got rid of gauges in favor of idiot lights ... one wonders why. Screwy wiring that would be hidden by the presence of idiot lights sounds like as good a theory as any.

Perhaps this will help. Your 1st step would be to check wire colors & locations on the 2 connectors for main i/p, ther were minor changes between '88/'89 models. Also between auto & stick's. If you have access, alldata online has wiring diagrams that might help.On certain applications, all jeep did was leave a white piece of non-conductive tape over the c/b of i/p. The other thing I've noticed over the years for that vintage jeep was that the contact points on the wire harness connectors would lose their tension which could be fixed by using a "90 degree" dental pick (snap-on,etc.) to get behind contact & pull up a little,Gently!!

take care, mjcanoe.

well i tried putting the old cluster back in and same thing happened so i tried it with no cluster and it still happened. when i turn on the right blinker no problem when i turn on the left blinker the right and left signal go on and the tcase lever light. the same thing happens when i turn on my hazards. wtf???

comancheman, sounds interesting. make sure your hazard switch is not engaged, then I would start looking for ground problem as mentioned earlier. Over the years I have seen very odd manifestations of bad grounds & if hazard was "bumped" on during swap could be giving you fits now. Let me know. Take care, mjcanoe

87manche, Good point. Frt's. were bad for bad grounds, I've even seen that if an 1156 bulb were installed instead of proper 1157 they could cross circuit over from brake/ hazard circuit to park lamp circuit. mjcanoe

comancheman, Sorry, T/S circuit is Turn signal circuit, if I remember correctly there is a ground on left inner kick panel, by park brake. Also ground in engine bay by battery. Not to discourage, but ground has to have good contact thru all connectors. mjcanoe

comancheman, Don't give up on swap, I have'86 I swapped '91 into & everything worked out(w/some research). Only could not get OEM tach. online due to Renix/Chrysler difference in PCM. Your problem is due to existing issue brought on by swap, not diffrence of I/P. mjcanoe

comancheman, connectors are the same shape, size, location, but, individual wires may be different color, location in connector depending on eng., trans. application, etc. Printed circuit board (plastic) were usally the same for those years. May just need to relocate wire (s) in harness connecter, mjcanoe