chrysler 8.25 or D44

As stated, they are quite strong. Actually have a much stronger HOUSING than the D35 OR D44. The rest is about equil to the D44/8.8 in the 29 spl version.

Lockers are limited and expensive as are Gears. If you can get one in the gears you have its a score of an upgrade to the D35!!!

CW

I'm not sure why a stronger housing is an advantage, unless you're breaking them or something... Or are you talking the tubes being thicker? Mmm, I've heard it said more than once that the housing is stronger.

(I know of one D44 housing that actually broke - as in cracked the centre section into peices. But, that was one of those snow-skimmer guys and he was doing 70mph+ and hit a rock. It was KINDA to be expected)

the tubes are beefier in the 8.25 so the axle flexes less, leading to less brekage. It also has a stronger pinion support, so you're less likely to deflect the pinion away from the ring gear and destroy it.

it's a good solid axle, the biggest problem being that it doesn't go any lower than 4.56. The nice thing though is that there's no carrier break.

the 8.8 is super stout I'm on the hunt for one right now.

Cheapest I can locate one that still has it's calipers and mounting brackets is about $250-$300.

So a complete 8.25 for $100 or so would be a pretty good deal.

either way you're putting new perches on it, so if the extra money for disc brakes and bigger shafts/ring gear is up to you.

What size tires you planning?

I've seen locked 8.25's stand up to 33's and heavy right feet no problem.

I'd even say you could probably run 35's if you babied it. Hell, I ran 34's on my d35, and it didn't blow up on the trail, it popped on the street.

yea ive ran 33x13.5 swampers on my d35 and iam not to easy one it, mine held up good, but its non c-clip so arent they a little stronger.

No.

This is a common misunderstanding. The housing, tubes, ring & pinion, and shaft diameter are exactly the same between the two. The difference is that WHEN a c-clip axle breaks the shaft, there is nothing to retain the hub and the portion of the axle outboard of the break, and they can "walk" out of the axle. The older non-c-clip design has a bearing retainer that keeps the axle in the tube and the wheel under the vehicle. (Can't be driven that way, however.)

yea ive ran 33x13.5 swampers on my d35 and iam not to easy one it, mine held up good, but its non c-clip so arent they a little stronger.

it WILL pop.

like I stated, I never broke a shaft, never had problem one on the trail. Last trail use it saw was over a month ago, and I run 31's on the street.

but last night it decided that it was checking out, the D35 is a total pile, replace it as soon as you can.

don't forget you can get disc brakes for a 8.25 too. i belive zj's or wj's 8.25 discs are a direct swap to any 8.25 with drums

I don't think this is correct. I don't claim to know all, but every 8.25 disc swap writup I've read is from a ZJ D44, which requires some minor alerations to make fit- It is possible though, and quite common.