88Whitemanche's 98 Cherokee Build

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the test drive went great for a few 20-30 miles then a whole bunch of white smoke started coming out of the hood. So I thought to myself aw crap did I just trade a lemon?

Nope just the original radiator decided to go out....ended getting an aluminum one for $55 from a local radiator shop in town and was replaced ( no pics )

But I also decided to get to do the valve cover gasket mod. Yes the $40 gasket! F-it I know I don't have to worry about it no more...also decided to paint the valve cover hemi- orange looks sweet....

Also I was kind of freaking out while taking off the valve cover. Knowing the miles and unknown maintenance of the truck I was actually glad it was soooo clean in inside!!! Enough talking more pics!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What's up guys not much of an update

Did the headliner on the cherokee I must say it came out good...I hope I did good enough to stay up for 5+ years...took me 4 hours with 2 people..the hardest part was uninstalling/installing the interior panels itself....the headliner part was easy

All cleaned up

Laying down the headliner

Done! Looks good...I chose black because it was the cheapest and were only a limited of fabric stores with headliner material

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well just been enjoying the xj...

Pops took it offroad and devoured the interior in mud...

Was doing a oil change on my girls car and I noticed some noises in my truck then realized my pup is in the cherokee just guarding the cherokee from any intruders....

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to doing the zj gas tank skid mod on the cherokee....had to do a lot of modding and taking off and on to get it to fit...plus my hitch hangs a bit low than the others that hugs the body....here's the pics....

Also picked up 5-90% BFG all terrains off craigslist

Hitch hangs soo low you can barely notice the skid..

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's not that bad...just gas mileage is killing me since I'm dd this one now since I'm doing some upgrades to the comanche...I do 50+ miles a day so I need to find a 4.10 8.25 to help out with that...

Power is not a issue, it pulverizes the mud when we go offroad with ease....

• 2 months later...

What's up fellas...so sunday I made a trade with my 33s for some BFG all terrain 35s....the cherokee is looking beast!!! Unfortunately it only last 2days....

I had forgotten that I had put the cherokee in craigslist a while back and I put to trade for either a comanche i6 5 speed 4x4 or a 2 door cherokee i6 5 speed 4x4....

A guy texts me and asked if I still had it...

I had mentioned to him that I wanted to keep it because of dd duties then he sends me pics of his 2 door 5 speed 4x4 i6....

I took the trade without hesitation....

Enough talk and pics.....

Here's the 4 door with 35s....

Here's the 2 door...it has a 3" lift and 31s....

Needs a few things here and there but I say it was a sweet trade....

And it has a safari snorkel...not a big fan of snorkels because it tempts me to deep sea dive lol

But I'll see if I keep it or not....

Well since I've been trying to fix certain things like the obvious electric window regulators...which sucks because I went to 5 yards and all had about 9-11 96- 2 doors what a tease!!!!!

But I happen to pull a few stocks skids...engine and transfer case and will look for the zj skid for the gas tank...

So far it's been running flawlessly except it's due for a new clutch and got a low oil pressure issue which I think it's just the sending unit....

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy week with the cherokee...did the valve cover gasket, got some manual door regulators, installed one side because my passenger side panel broke while removal...smh...and also picked up those vent windows for the rear....

Direct swap...loving it for that reason...

Valve cover gasket...

Got lucky these didn't break flush...had 3 of them break like this some even closer...

Quarter vent windows...will get installed pics later...

Mock up....

• 3 weeks later...

Are those the regulators? Haha.....

Cool 2 door vent windows, must have had my head in the GA coastal sand cause I didn't know those vent windows even existed. :doh:

I like em!!!

Yeah those are the regulators! Thanks a million! Still on the look out for the manual door panels...

I didn't know they existed till I met a cherokee forum member with them..and when I got the cherokee it was like match made in heaven because they're were 2 pre 96 2 doors with them....

Oh and here's the pic of the other cherokee

Nice 2 door, I wish mine was a 5spd. Ive seen a couple 2 door XJs with the vent windows in the junkyard, I never thought about pulling them, because I never needed them, might be a nice upgrade to do to my XJ eventually.

Yeah man...I'm loving it though...I want to put 4.5" coils and add 33s or 35s...but I'm loving the stock look so idk...

I really didn't need the vent windows but it was the old patina part that made me want them...

• 1 month later...