front bumper tie in plates

oh, and I reused the rearmost of the three bumper bolts, because it goes into a welded nut in the frame.

other than that, the front two got replaced with grade 8, as did my steering box bolts.

Steering box bolts are 7/16-14, and with a 1/4" plate need to be 4.5" long to get through the steering box enough for my tastes. The stock bolts are 4" long, and had enough thread engagement, but I like it when they come out the other side.

I should add, the steering box bolts MUST be grade 8, that's what the factory had, I got mine at TSC, home depot/lowed is not likely to have that size in grade 8.

I went and got mine made up for me I am going Friday to pick them up. I had the holes punched for that clean look I will post pic when i get them home and installed. I had some ¼ x 5 1/2 x 22” long steel that my bother in-law gave me and some other steel so my front bumper will be free for the most part. i will post pic as i go. :chillin:

I had them made straight off the plan and I checked the guys work and there dead on. Like I said the front bolt for the bumper is like a ¼” to the front all the bolt line up but these are to far toward the front. And the bottom bolt on the (3) steering is about a ¼” to low so I don’t know where the hang up is but I am going to go and get pic here soon.

My camera just died I will get pic tomorrow

Here are those pics. The first one is the plat lined up with the stock bumper bracket and as you can tell the hole don’t line up

Next I colored the stock holes in so you could see where the should be

And last is the bottom hole of the steering this pic is not the best but you can that the frame is in the way.

So how am going to fixes these is I am going to drill the front two hole where the should be and ream the top of the bolt out a little so the bolt will fit right. Then I will take some dims and post them for you guys.

I have a PDF I made of the frame dimensions. I want to double check the measurements I took so that no one has the wrong information. I will post these as soon as I verify the dimensions. I am also working on a bumper tie-in plate that I will post soon. I checked the other plate against my PDF and had the same results. Except the front holes were also to far apart acording to my dimensions.

Except the front holes were also to far apart acording to my dimensions.

I think if you move the holes back 1/2" you will be alright and so that dim should be 13" from the back and the hole are right width apart useing the stock bumper bracket as a guide. And the bottom streering bolt should be 4.5 from the top and you should be ok. :nuts: So if this is what you come up with us no

that doesn't make sense, I took a tape measure to my jcr's and they lined up. I may have been mistaken.

I will double check.

I have heard not saying that JCR is not a great company but they have had some issue with these plate in the past. So the dims on the template are ok just make the (2) changes and should be good to go.

Here is what I measured from my truck. The top and bottom dimensions are referenced from where the radius bend starts. Also the notch at the top is not shown, but the dimensions should still be correct. If anyone decides to use this I recommend checking the dimensions against your own truck just as a precaution before fabricating any parts.

Try to post pic of bumper tie in plate soon.

If anyone decides to use this I recommend checking the dimensions against your own truck just as a precaution before fabricating any parts.

i am with you there man that was my fault for not doing that :nuts: :oops:

Here is what I measured from my truck. The top and bottom dimensions are referenced from where the radius bend starts. Also the notch at the top is not shown, but the dimensions should still be correct. If anyone decides to use this I recommend checking the dimensions against your own truck just as a precaution before fabricating any parts.

Try to post pic of bumper tie in plate soon.

Is this something you just drew up or did you make a set of plates from these blueprints??

+/- 1/16 on all fractional dimensions is wide open ;) , some of the stuff we machine at work we have to hold +/- .0005, thats when it gets fun.

I did make these drawings and plan to build from them. The tolerance depends on the person making the part and the equipment available. Someone using a drill and cutting torch in there garage will have a hard time with tolerances under 1/16". Also there may be (or should say most likely are) variances in the measurements I took from my truck. I attempted to leave enough room for mistakes. The holes are larger so if the position is off you should be able to get the bolt through while still lining up with other holes. And the width and length are smaller so that there is still room to weld. I just posted this as a guide. It certainly isnt as accurate as a factory print. I have had a very hard time finding this type of information anywhere on the internet.